The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?  (Read 628640 times)

Offline jaxboy30

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?
« Reply #200 on: 23/07/2012 00:44:40 »
I am glad I found this site! I'm a 31 yr old man and I experienced this headache about three weeks ago. I was having sex with my girlfriend and It got pretty intense! Right before I came I started feeling warm, i started to feel this strain in my head as if my head was going to burst and right before coming, I experieced a headache like non other. It was the worst headache I have ever had. I really thought I had just had an aneurysm. Even taking an advil, that headache didn't go away for about a day. From then on, every time I'm about to orgasm I feel that headache coming on. It's not as bad as the first, but it is still very painful. Now i have this pulsating pain in my head that off and on through out the day. Taking medicine relieves it, but it continues to come back. Will this ever go away!? My blood pressure has been pretty high since this started. could that be a factor?

Offline spoke

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 27/07/2012 17:51:04 »
24/M here experienced this for the first time 5 days ago. In my past I have had very slight headaches associated with sexual activity but nothing like the pain brought on by these orgasm headaches, in fact I believe they were do more to physical excretion rather than vessels dilating as with the orgasm headache. so I will try to remember all the events leading up to today:

5 days ago I had an encounter with law enforcement where I was handcuffed while on the ground , the arresting officer had his knee on the back of my neck towards the upper part of my spine, of course this was uncomfortable but it gave no hint towards the possibility of this orgasm headache. so a few days later im at home with my girlfriend and we are messing around and as we are engaging in intercourse (roughly about 5 min in or so) I start to feel a throbbing pain in my head, I try to disregard which works for say maybe 10 seconds or so while it builds up and then at that point it feels like something blew up inside my head causing the worst pain I have ever felt (next to a kidney stone). This pain brought me to my knees and was so strong my stomach wanted to make me vomit and my abdominal muscles were contracting as if to suggest I was going to vomit. After about 1 min of this it never faded or went away and at that point I and my girlfriend are worried this may be something the hospital would need to look at, but not having insurance I go and take 2 excedrin which after 20 minutes or so kicks in all the while still having the throbbing headache. it starts to dissipate and I cannot sleep for another hour or so do to the pain which seems to beat with my heart and bloodflow. To be honest at this point in time I feel helpless and afraid, why is this happening to me? I cant afford to have a MRI (in the states any imaging serves will run you about 10k where you might get a discount but who can afford a 5,000 scan that as many have said yielded no results?). I would like to mention I may have not been breathing properly and am guilty of intentionality building pressure to increase orgasm and this has never been a problem for me but I understand that I can no longer do that.

The next day im googling around and read everything in this thread and although comforting it seems as with all human medical issues everyone is effected differently and the causes seem to be different for everyone, but is there not a study somewhere where someone is sexually aroused while taking an MRI or scan? I believe this would indicate the problem and it seems everyone who experiences this problem goes to the doc who gives them pain meds (likely clouding the results of the scan) and find nothing. frustrating. so back to my experience, i explain to the girlfriend what I have learned about these headaches and suggest we wait a couple days and try again. so a couple of days later before leaving the house of an appointment I ask the girlfriend for a quick handjob to see if it might have something to do with over exerting myself or the breathing not being consistent. so this time im laying on my back breathing properly and it seems to be going good I have about 5 min of pleasure and as the orgasm gets close I dont feel anything until I came at which point it was again a horrendous headache that left me unable to enjoy my orgasm, and ontop of that i had to leave for a business meeting. so the breathing helps but doesn't stop, physical activity has nothing to do with it ( I ride a bike every day for transportation , I have a car but enjoy the exercise). at this point im worried will this ever go away? will my relationship last though this? am i going to die because of some brain function relating to orgasm? this sounds far fetched but another user here claims his spouse died from this condition and although im sceptical after feeling this pain and trying to plow through it I felt as though a vessel had exploded in my head and the pain I felt was like the vessel was a water hose turned on full blast and the hose was whipping around in my skull shooting pain all over my head.

the next day we go on a 20 mile bike ride and end up messing around when we get home later in the night , I say i will go until I feel the pain building up so after about 10-15 min I start to feel it building up and have to stop. talk about unsatisfying for the both of us.

The fallowing morning I decide I will have to try to experiment and try masturbating to see what works and what doesn't. after about 3 or 4 min of masturbating i start to feel it build up and stop. I didn't eat breakfast and took 2 excedrin and waited about 30-40 min and tried again, this time breathing deeply and having the excedrin to help. While masturbating i started to feel the pain but it was very dull and i was breathing deeply so the 02 levels were likely high. My hands and arms started to shake which i attribute to the 02 being high and my body telling me it was in pain but I couldn't feel it as much. I finished and it felt like a fraction of pain I usually feel and lasted about 1 min or so before going back to normal.

update: After drinking 2 beers we messed around and I took it very slow and got to the point to where it would start to build up and then backed off for awhile, i did this about 3 or 4 times before finally giving in at which point i felt no orgasm pain. everything seemed to be fine until about 4:30 AM when i woke up with a throbbing headache. possible the beer prolonged this event?

A little about me:
Im athletic
very balanced diet
have been working in the medial field so have some knowledge about how the body works

history:
about a year ago I was working out really hard and caused a headache, not comparable to the orgasm headaches

throughout my younger life I would feel a stabbing feeling in my brain for about 1 to 4 seconds, this would occur about once every 6 mo and was never sever enough to see a doc about.

I have stopped smoking weed, however this has no withdraw symptoms. (not by choice)

I haven't been drinking as much because ive been taking meds every time I get these and dont want to kill my liver (this could have something to do with the withdraws but doubtful)

my blood pressure is normal but in the higher normal.

I have tried:
breathing; helps but doesn't stop it
not exerting  myself; helps with the building up pain , but causes the sudden orgasm pain
masturbating; which leads to the building up pain, unless I take meds

hopefully this helps someone as I have read through trying to find help for myself.

« Last Edit: 30/07/2012 16:58:03 by spoke »

Offline HouseWife

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 13/08/2012 05:23:37 »
PLEASE READ I'M GETTING SCARED !!!!
I am a 18 yr old female.
I've recently been experiencing horrible pains in my temples right before I orgasm.
It has happened 3 times now, the first time it hit really hard but went away in about 15 seconds. The second time it was a bit stronger and lasted longer. But this third time, was the worst ! Oh and the first 2 times it was only in my left temple. Anyway, this last time stated in both temples and worked itself around the front of my forehead and down the sides of my head around the back of my neck. The pain was unbearable ! I've lived with migraines about 2 or 3 times a week since I was 10, so I'm usually pretty use to any head pain, but this was the worst pain I've ever experienced !!!
The lasted almost an hour.

I've been reading some of these post, and I'm really starting to get scared.
I will add that it doesn't happen when my husband and I have sex, only when we use both of my vibrators. (one in and one out) But it doesn't seem to happen when I use one by myself.
I do have 2 injured disc in my back and scoliosis if that helps anyone with anything. The only time the doctors have found high blood pressure is when I have a bad migraine.
I don't know what else to say, if any questions PLEASE ASK !

Offline premier1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 18/08/2012 15:54:02 »
It was my Occiput…..
So I had all the same symptoms and thought I was about to die the first time the headache rushed over me.  My wife and I tried different “ ways” and every time that rushing headache would return, it did not matter if I just laid there still I would get that headache.
So this is quick test to see if it’s your Occiput that is causing the problem. Sit down back straight with your left hand take your pulse on your right wrist. Do you feel your pulse?  Now hold your breath and lean your head back then to the right (Far back Right).  Did you pulse disappear? Did it drop off? Now do the same with your left hand pulse and lean your head to the back left. Did your pulse disappear?  If you did lose your pulse then it’s your Occiput and that’s a very easy fix. I went to a “Quality” did I say Quality Chiropractor who knows the whole body and was trained in how to adjust the Occiput. Not some new age whack job but a Chiropractor that cracks you.  The Occiput is the bone that connects the spine to your head and your arteries go in to the Occiput then in to the brain. When the Occiput is tilted you lose blood flow to your head and BAM you get a massive headache when the tissue starts to swell in your upper neck during sex. I went the chiropractor 5 times every other day and he fixed my headaches. I felt a difference after the 3 visit and by the 5th it was completely fixed.
Hope this helps

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 18/08/2012 18:44:04 »
... I went the chiropractor 5 times every other day ...

Did chiropractor have to visit another chiropractor to correct the curvature in their spine caused by sitting on the very thick wallet in the back pocket of their trousers ?

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=40792.msg366016#msg366016
« Last Edit: 18/08/2012 18:47:15 by RD »

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #205 on: 08/11/2012 19:39:58 »
Has anyone ever experienced a "thunderclap" headache right at the time of orgasm? afterwards as well.

It's called a f****** headache.

Offline atlantianv

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 08/11/2012 20:15:05 »
Has anyone heard of this being associated with an energetic problem. Orgasm is a massive release of energy and if the energy center at the top of the head is blocked then it cannot pass. The fact that the headache occurs precisely at the time of orgasm makes me think this could be the cause. I have experienced this twice and it was excruciatingly painful, lasting for a day or two.

I was wondering if anyone with energy work experience had some input on the subject.

On a side note....FuzzyUK bumped this thread right about the time this just happened to me lol.
« Last Edit: 08/11/2012 20:17:04 by atlantianv »

Offline ChristopherVA

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 11/12/2012 05:38:44 »
I recently experienced this kind of headache.  I'm 48M, with no history of headaches.   The first time it occurred just at the moment of orgasm. I thought I was having an aneurism or a stroke or both, it was so severe.  A deep, throbbing pain through my entire head, not localized to left/right or front/rear.  The headache didn't build up from low to medium to strong, it was just suddenly there 100%.  And then for about 36 hours I had symptoms similar to a hangover -- dull, persistent headache that worsened if I moved around, occasional nausea.

The next time it occurred a few moments,  perhaps 90 seconds before I would have reached orgasm.  Same thing -- no warning, no buildup of pain, just suddenly an overwhelming throbbing headache through my entire head.    And then two days of hangover-like symptoms, much worse during the first 24 hours but still bad up to 48 hours. 

I have borderline high blood pressure -- my numbers are right at the upper edge of "normal" blood pressure.    No previous headache issues of any kind.   I haven't seen a doctor yet, I have an appointment next week so I'll see what he says.

Offline Gee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 01/03/2013 22:54:15 »
Hi

Glad I found this site. It's reassuring to see so many other people have experienced this. I recently mentioned it in passing to my Doctor and next thing I know I've got an appointment for a scan soon (which is bloody scary). Anyone else on here had a CT scan for this? Looking through other posts it seems more of a precaution than anything. All my symptoms are like everyone's been saying, starts at the back of the head just before orgasm and bursts through the sides. Gone when I wake up in the morning.

Gee

Offline Nedbella

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 04/04/2013 02:06:36 »
I have only just started getting these.  OMG, the worst head pain ever.  I have epilepsy and am worried something like this will trigger a seizure.  I've read on a few replies here about breathing methods, not tilting your head back ( very hard NOT to do during orgasm ). I will have a break for a few days 😡 and see how I go. It was excruciating and I don't want to EVER feel it again. 

Offline Buuddyboy27

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 11/04/2013 10:30:10 »
A while back I got what you guys refer to as a thunder cap headache or migraine .
I am worried as I am only 16!! Year old male . It happen just as I was reaching the climax, and bam the pounding and throbbing made me stop strait away and turned me of . I was really disey and was sensitive to the light. The pain lessened a little bit but lasted about 2 to 3 days .i haven't told my parents as you probly know because I am inbarised , so that's why I came and ask for you guys help??

Offline Issletripe

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 11/04/2013 18:21:53 »
Over the last couple of days I have begun to experience these really bad headaches when I reach an orgasm. The first was yesterday when my partner was using a vibrator on me. I started to feel tense on my shoulders first, gradually moving up to my neck and then the most painful headache I have ever experienced, so intense and it came on so quickly that I thought it was something far more serious. After taking painkillers, it lasted about 2-3 hours. I have recently been poorly with a cough/cold virus that is going around and am not yet fully recovered, so thought it may be something to do with the fact that my head has been feeling blocked up for a while. I was hoping it was going to be a one off so have gone back this afternoon without my partner and used my vibrator and sadly the same thing happened again. Has anyone found out why it just suddenly starts like this? Would appreciate any advice please

Offline scared inGA

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 19/04/2013 21:36:24 »
I have been experiencing this type of headache for the past three days, and I am really glad I ran across this thread via Google. Like some of you I was diagnosed with an ear/throat infection earlier this week and I am currently on antibiotics. I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it. I am maybe 30lbs overweight but have been working out regularly for the past month, blood pressure is great, 33 year old female. I have two very young children at home so I must say these headaches have frightened me horribly. I am married with only one partner, my husband, and I haven't told him about the headaches yet. We don't have insurance and there is absolutely no money for a doctor. I really hope that as the infection clears the headaches do too!

Again, thank-you to ALL who have posted here over the years as it does give me comfort to know that this is not that uncommon.

Offline JDNSF

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 19/07/2013 11:17:00 »
Has anyone heard from Oneeyedguy since last January? I see that his email address is not listed in his profile, and am very interested to hear of his progress, theoretical or otherwise.

I thank those who have shared their stories, and I intend to share mine shortly. Special thanks to the aforementioned gentleman; please return.

Offline Bklyn72

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 23/07/2013 08:40:09 »
Hi All, thanks for your posts, I'm glad I ran across this. I'm a 41 yo male and this happened to me for the first time three days ago and its happened everyday since. I freaked out thinking I was having a stroke or aneurysm too. What a relief to hear so many stories. Will still get checked out but at least I'm not running to the nearest ER now at 330am. What a weird thing, I was with someone the other day and bang, the second I climaxed it was the worst headache I ever had. Like someone previously said, 0 to 100 from one second to the next. It starts at the neck on the left side and shoots right to the left temple only. Today I could feel a vein pounding on the left side of my forehead with my finger. Better now but it's still intense. Tried breathing as soon as it happened this time and it seems to have helped a bit. No comorbid infections that I know of. This sucks if its going to be the new normal.  Thanks again for the stories. Be well.

Offline oemind1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 27/07/2013 19:48:27 »
I too was struck with this last week. Happened twice. After that I would stop as soon as I felt it starting to happen. After stopping and starting a couple times I was able to have an orgasm without pain but not like the old ones I was used to do to fear. I went to my Chiropractor and had him do my normal adjustments and then asked if he knew how to do a occipital adjust and he said and did it. I waited a couple days and had him do it again and then went and got a massage. I've now had the best 2 days of sex I've had in a long time. When I had my orgasm this morning I just laid down on top of wife and started laughing it was so nice. Also wanted to know if I could masterbate pain free and just got done with a nice alone time session pain free. I'm going to keep up with the adjustments once a week and a once a week massage since I enjoy them both. I did go to my doctor before the chiropractor and he thought it was just a pinched nerve but said he would order an MRI if I wanted one and I said yes. But I got obamacared by my insurance company who says their reviewing this to see if they'll cover it so that's when I went to the chiropractor. Now I don't think I'll get the MRI anyway. Hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: 27/07/2013 20:29:47 by oemind1 »

Offline aballer1212

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 26/08/2013 23:56:29 »
Hey just thought I'd share my two cents on here. I'm a seventeen male, and about a week ago, maybe a tad more, I experienced this horrible horrible head pain that built up as I neared orgasm and then just exploded well when I exploded lol. Anyway, the initial pain evaporated into a steady throb that lasted a couple of days, while I iniitially didn't associate the pain and orgasm, thinking it was just a coincidence. Evidently a few days later I go at it again and wouldn't you know, I'm dying at orgasm. So I do my due diligence and search the web for others suffering from the same problem and I found this site among others. I tried some of the above techniques posted over a few days, abstaining from any sex or masturbation while hoping this would cure the problem. Something that I did find and I'd like to mention before I post what seems to have cured me is that I could work through the pain if I started and stopped, and there wouldn't be such a large explosion of pain, but that wasn't going to cut it. Now, on to the cure. I ran across an article last night about someone associating the pain we've all been experiencing with dehydration. Now for me I'm not always diligent about getting water, and for circumstances I won't go into I wasn't doing the greatest of jobs of staying hydrated leading up to my first experience with this head trauma. Needless to say I tried drinking the recommended amount of daily water (16floz minimum, 32 if you can manage), both last night and this morning, and later today I tried masturbating again and wouldn't you know it, no head pain! Anyway I haven't tried it again but if you are like me and haven't been doing as well in drinking water everyday try giving it a shot and seeing if that fixes the problem for you like it seems to have fixed it for me. Of course it could've been the abstinence but it can't hurt to try. Good luck and I'll try to post an update after a few days pass to see if these headaches come back.

Edited for a little update:
Two more masturbation sessions completely headache free! I'm happy to report that water really seems to have done the trick. I've been keeping up with daily consumptions of 16 or more floz, and I've seen a complete disappearance in the incredibly painful "sex headaches". So take it from me if you're going through the same thing I have: try drinking some water!

Good luck all!
« Last Edit: 27/08/2013 08:28:47 by aballer1212 »

Offline Good-CUMS

• First timers
    • View Profile
GET RID OF Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm!
« Reply #217 on: 21/09/2013 14:39:50 »
Did you have chicken pox when you were a kid? Okay, did you get the resurgence of it, known as "shingles". In my case, twice? You get some zits or red blotches on your face, maybe red oozing sores on one side of your body? Morning headaches, every damn morning? You have Herpes Zoster, look it up.

Go to any Med Clinic and get a bottomless supply of Acyclovir tablets, 200mG to 800mG (12 cents each). Take about 1.5 grams of those every day for 3 weeks and then hump your brains out! Use a rubber of course.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: 21/09/2013 14:46:11 by Good-CUMS »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 21/09/2013 18:08:48 »
The problem does seem to be associated with spinal disc compression. Hence drinking plenty of water may help - discs become dehydrated and compressed during the day, and additional muscular tension during orgasm can promote a painful neural feedback if a disc is pressing on a nerve root. The balance system that keeps us walking upright depends on some subtle connexions between the sacrum and occiput, so autonomic contraction of pelvic muscles may well promote a tension headache if a cervical disc is misaligned or dehydrated..   

Offline eb

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 26/09/2013 20:37:10 »
Hey all,
I'm a 50 yr old woman - just wanted to share my experience with these. The first time it happened was so effing scary - I rarely get headaches so I thought I was having an aneurysm !!  Just to be on safe side, I shared experience with my doc's office and he had me come up that afternoon for a CT scan to rule out anything serious.  It was a tad embarrassing standing there with the male tech going over my paperwork.  I look down under diagnosis and it says "orgasmic headache" - the guy just kinda smirked at me.  Good news was the CT scan was clear and it was one of these thunderclap headaches.  They are very sudden, throb all over and hurt!! For me, the worst of it subsides within 30 seconds or so but sometimes a slight headache lingers.  The few that I had were a few years ago (doctor told me to take a couple of Advil before sex - it seemed to help). I eventually stopped the Advil and they never occurred again - until today!  I am just grateful to know it's nothing worrisome.  As someone had said before, I think breathing might have something to do with it! Who knows.  My best friend said right away how lucky I was to be having mind-blowing sex with my husband after so many years . haha.  Try the Advil - it helped me :) :)

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 04/11/2013 14:23:07 »
I am a 51 year old female, and I had the most frightening pain in my head two nights ago, which began very suddenly and severely, at the base of my head and spread throughout my head and settling in my temples, right before orgasm.  We stopped of course and I cried for a little while due to the pain which mostly subsided to a tolerable level fairly soon, and then I went onto the internet to search for what happened.  I called my ob/gyn the following day, since I'm 5-6 weeks postop from a partial hysterectomy, and this was my first time resuming intercourse with my husband...

I should visit this forum more often, but it's a double-edged sword, as well as getting hope and new ideas you're also concentrating on what is a painful problem, both physically and psychologically. Mimosa, your post from last year suddenly struck me - '5-6 weeks post-op'. Something tells me your procedure was keyhole surgery, am I right?

I'm convinced there's a link between keyhole surgery, where they pump CO2 into you, literally to make space so they can see what they're doing, and the heart problem I was banging on about in my latest posts. The CO2 technique is called pneumoperitoneum. It increases pressure both in your abdomen and your chest cavity.

Brief recap: Over 1 in 4 of us have a PFO = Patent Foramen Ovale. The FO is the hole in your heart between left and right atria that, when you were in the womb, allowed oxygenated blood from your mother to travel via the umbilical cord, up your main vein to the right side of your heart and then cross over to the left side, which is the side that pumps it round the body. This is necessary in unborn babies because your lungs aren't working yet, the pressure in those blood vessels is too high so blood can't flow round them & wouldn't pick up any oxygen anyway! When you're born, lungs start working, pressure decreases, blood starts flowing from right heart around lungs, picks up oxygen, back to left heart. Pressure is now higher on left side, this makes the FO close up and, in 3/4 of people, by your 1st birthday it's permanently closed. In the other 1/4, the FO is 'patent' - i.e. it's still openable, like a cat-flap, if enough pressure is put on it. Normally, left-side pressure is greater than right-side, so the cat-flap stays shut. But if anything happens to alter the pressures...

Now, my guess is that there's not a sharp division between the 1/4 with a PFO and the 3/4 without. The process of closure is going to be complete in some people, absent in others, and somewhere in between for some guys. The closure process has happened, but it's weaker than it should be. Now read these quotes from medical websites:

Here's what one paper newbielink:http://m.ceaccp.oxfordjournals.org/content/11/5/177.full [nonactive] says about the use of laparoscopic surgical techniques - 'keyhole surgery' - which include pneumoperitoneum:

'Generally accepted contraindications include ... patients with known right-to-left cardiac shunts or patent foramen ovale.'

Here's another:

newbielink:http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hBb_MOHScVEC&pg=PA144&lpg=PA144&dq=PFO+pneumoperitoneum&source=bl&ots=AqWsQ1opB1&sig=SAxTWJMg4s4OOKyB-edWZeLoKrk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=W5F3Uu-_FILB0QWhtoDoAg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBA [nonactive]

'As a result of the pneumoperitoneum during laparoscopic procedures central venous pressure exceeds pulmonary wedge pressure, leading to temporary reversal of intracardiac pressure gradients between the atria. In consequence, the risk of intraoperative cardiac right-to-left shunting with consecutive systemic embolisation is increased, because a PFO, although normally closed, may open during this reversal of pressure gradients.'

OK, pulmonary wedge pressure = a way of measuring the pressure in the left atrium, which is the chamber of your heart that receives oxygenated blood from the lungs. And the 'embolisation' they're talking about is one way for blood clots in your veins to get into your arteries and travel to your brain or other organs; this paper was primarily about strokes. Basically, what this adds up to is, pressure in right side of heart exceeds pressure on left side, for as long as they're inflating your abdomen with CO2: several hours depending on the operation. This is common knowledge to anaesthetists, which is why they don't recommend keyhole surgery for people with known heart defects like PFOs.

So it seems pretty plausible to me that one way for orgasm headaches to suddenly start happening in the middle of your life is this:

* You have, unknown to you or anyone else, a borderline PFO
* You have a keyhole operation, they blow you up with CO2 for several hours and the pressures in your heart are reversed
* This opens up the PFO, you're now not borderline, your FO is definitely P, as it were.
* Next time you do anything that reverses the pressures (known medically as a Valsalva manoeuvre) - heavy coughing, sneezing, vomiting, straining during defecation, having an orgasm - the PFO opens readily, whereas before the operation it was a bit stronger and stayed closed.
* The crossover of venous blood directly into the arterial system, bypassing the filter of the lungs, causes severe headache, possibly because of high concentrations of hormones - e,g, norepinephrine - present during the build-up to orgasm.

Of course, the trigger for the weakening of the FO might not be keyhole surgery, it might be exercise - which might explain why there's a mixture of relatively fit, young people on this forum, along with relatively unfit, middle-aged folk like myself. Or constipation, or coughing, or anything that reverses the pressures enough, for long enough.

Since my last post I've had mixed fortunes - several periods of remission followed by 'back to square one', all unrelated to anything I can identify, it's depressingly random but the remissions are good, I try to take full advantage of them, even if orgasms themselves are a risk for re-occurrence! I'm pretty convinced that the sequence I've described above is what happened to me. I've no idea if a PFO is capable of healing in an adult, if I refrain from anything that could 'open the cat-flap' for long enough. More research needed, and a friendly doctor. Maybe we need to set up a proper self-help group, or a campaign for research? I've no idea how to do that.

Offline Catherine3130

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 08/01/2014 21:57:35 »
Wow.. gotta love google.  I am completely intrigued by this (and oddly enough, thankful I'm not the only one experiencing this.) 

About 2 months ago, I took it upon myself to enjoy the new showerhead we just installed and I think it was a record orgasm .. maybe a minute/minute and a half before the intensity grew .. the headache in my temples blew me away.. I thought it might have been because of the sudden intensity/speed of reaction/etc.  This particular headache lasted about 2 days.. dull, not as sharp around the temples and by the eyes, but still there.  After a few days, I thought I'd try it again (geez...why??) and same reaction.. after having that orgasm and feeling like my brain was going to explode or I was going to pass out from the pain, I decided I was done with the shower for awhile..  ;D   

A few days after that, I was with hubby and as I was getting close to orgasm I could feel the dull headache feeling starting to come back but nothing over the top painful as what had happened in the shower, so I thought it just might just be the "quick to orgasm" intensity of the shower.. but no... after weeks of nothing but a dull pain here and there, I am now at the point where it has happened the last 4 times hubby and I have been together.  Even taking headache medicine prior doesn't help.  The sharp pain subsides hours after, but the dull headache remains for up to 3 days (that's the longest thus far)!!   

This is becoming an annoying situation that is truly making me have second thoughts on having sex.. something I really, really enjoy and would do daily if I could.. how in the world do I get rid of this?  Is this just something I'm going to have to live with?  So sad.  :-'(

Offline Catherine3130

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 08/01/2014 22:02:23 »
Hey just thought I'd share my two cents on here. I'm a seventeen male, and about a week ago, maybe a tad more, I experienced this horrible horrible head pain that built up as I neared orgasm and then just exploded well when I exploded lol. Anyway, the initial pain evaporated into a steady throb that lasted a couple of days, while I iniitially didn't associate the pain and orgasm, thinking it was just a coincidence. Evidently a few days later I go at it again and wouldn't you know, I'm dying at orgasm. So I do my due diligence and search the web for others suffering from the same problem and I found this site among others. I tried some of the above techniques posted over a few days, abstaining from any sex or masturbation while hoping this would cure the problem. Something that I did find and I'd like to mention before I post what seems to have cured me is that I could work through the pain if I started and stopped, and there wouldn't be such a large explosion of pain, but that wasn't going to cut it. Now, on to the cure. I ran across an article last night about someone associating the pain we've all been experiencing with dehydration. Now for me I'm not always diligent about getting water, and for circumstances I won't go into I wasn't doing the greatest of jobs of staying hydrated leading up to my first experience with this head trauma. Needless to say I tried drinking the recommended amount of daily water (16floz minimum, 32 if you can manage), both last night and this morning, and later today I tried masturbating again and wouldn't you know it, no head pain! Anyway I haven't tried it again but if you are like me and haven't been doing as well in drinking water everyday try giving it a shot and seeing if that fixes the problem for you like it seems to have fixed it for me. Of course it could've been the abstinence but it can't hurt to try. Good luck and I'll try to post an update after a few days pass to see if these headaches come back.

Edited for a little update:
Two more masturbation sessions completely headache free! I'm happy to report that water really seems to have done the trick. I've been keeping up with daily consumptions of 16 or more floz, and I've seen a complete disappearance in the incredibly painful "sex headaches". So take it from me if you're going through the same thing I have: try drinking some water!

Good luck all!

OMG!  I am going to try this starting today *facepalm*.. why didn't I think of this?!?! Thank you SOOOO much!  ♥ 

Offline rigatone

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 09/01/2014 19:55:21 »
Hi folks,
I'm so glad to have stumbled on this site whilst researching my headaches. They are definitely Thunderclap headaches and the pain only occurs before orgasm. I had never experienced this before (I'm a 37 year old guy). Since being officially single 9 months ago I've went to the gym less and less. I haven't put on excessive weight but I know my fitness levels must be embarrassing. Anyway, I'd given a lot of thought to what caused this. A couple of weeks ago I was with a girl and without being overtly graphic, she squeezed her legs unbelievably tightly against my head and later when I neared orgasm the most tremendous pain rushed up from the base of my skull, went round my head and like everyone else shocked me with its intensity. I could barely move for ages and it slowed to a dull throb but didn't leave.

Fast forward a few weeks and it happens pretty much any time I masturbate. I haven't been to the doctor yet but without misdiagnosing myself I'm pretty convinced my sexual encounter caused this. Coupled with the fact my job is spent sitting in front of a pc and I wouldn't be surprised if something is out of alignment with my neck/shoulders/head region.

I intend going to the chiropracter first. If he can diagnose anything I'll know my gut feeling was right and will follow any advice they give me. If not, then I'll go to the doctors.

Thanks for so many people writing about what can be an embarrassing topic to raise. It's comforting to know other people have faced this and overcame it, although its such a grey area I can see why it's hard to diagnose!

I'll post an update when after the chiropracter but needless to say, I'm going to do gentle exercise again, drink plenty of water and try to keep my breathing relaxed. I'm in Scotland so I'm off to avoid beer and head up a hill with my telescope to watch the aurora borealis.

Good luck to anyone else who is suffering too  :)

Offline rigatone

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 09/01/2014 19:58:15 »
Oh and read comments by Kush on p5. His advice seems to resonate with what I think may work. I would also maybe add if I have a few beers then the pain isn't so bad so it could well be that at the moment towards orgasm the nerve is affected by something being out of synch.

Cheers

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #224 on: 09/01/2014 19:58:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums