The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?  (Read 627807 times)

Offline Vcfan1523

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?
« Reply #225 on: 02/02/2014 09:38:48 »
Hey all, 23/m here, I had my first terrible "thunderclap" headache around a week and a half ago but unlike most people on here mine first happened while working out. I heard a pop and had excruciating pain right on the bottom right side of my skull, the pain only lasted a few minutes and then went away so I didn't think much of it. The next day during sex right before climax it happened again but this time much worse and it lasted a couple hours.

Now anytime I'm nearing climax or try and workout this happens, I'm just wondering if anyone else on here also gets these thunderclap headaches while working out as well?

Offline ohmyackinghead

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 07/02/2014 23:16:45 »
Man oh man the one good thing about this thread is I'm not alone. I'm a 44yr old male, married 25 yrs to the same wonderful lady. This past Monday we had the afternoon off together to spend some time alone. Well bam I had a thunderclap right at the time of orgasm. Whoa was that a scary experience. I've never had any headaches so I didn't know how to handle it. Oh my lord it was terrible. Once I semi recovered from it I jumped on the Internet to see how much time I had left. Damn this is scary. My headache resided some and with the help of ibuprofen I made it till today and broke down went to the ER. All that showed up on the cat scan was sinusitis. Oh we haven't tried sex again since I'm to scared. Doc give me some antibiotics and pain meds but now what. He did say if it happens again come in immediately don't wait. If there might have been a small bleeder they wasn't able to pick it up it had been to long. My blood pressure was not high. I'm going to take the antibiotics and man I hope thats what the problem is. Has any one been cured of this other than by time ? Thanks for reading and letting me know I'm not alone. I've not had any issues with other physical exertion and headaches yet.
« Last Edit: 07/02/2014 23:19:28 by ohmyackinghead »

Offline cosmos35

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 23/03/2014 12:48:19 »
I use to have them, bloody awful until I found out I had High Blood pressure. I started meds and now completely disappeared never had one since. :) Get you BP checked guys and gals as this could be your cause.

Offline theratz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 20/01/2015 15:38:24 »
I also have them....

I'm a 24 M, the first time I experienced that I was 18. This lasted 2 weeks, and stopped.

Now I have a huge comeback, I can't do sex with my hand or with my GF, this is the worst pulsating headaches I never had of MY ENTIRE LIFE. This will do 2 weeks I have this now... Yesterday was my worst experience ever.

I tryed:
- 2x 500 mg paracetamol --> Did nothing
- 3x 200 mg ibuprophen   --> Did nothing

Tonight I'll try
2x 250mg Naproxen.

If this doesn't work, I'll go see a doctor and ask him if he could prescribe me some Indometacin. This is a powerfull pain reliever.

The pain come gradually before I orgasm, no warning, in 10 seconds it go from no pain to intolerable pain, 9 on 10.

Offline theratz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 21/01/2015 15:26:12 »
2x 220mg naproxen worked to fix temporarly thoses tunderclap headaches.

Just take them with food 2 hours before you plan sex.

Offline clique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 19/02/2016 15:20:43 »
Good day to you all,

Thank you for all the posts and information on this forum - it makes me a little easier to know I am not alone with this issue.

I am a 58 year old male with no major health issues.

The reason I am posting is that I have only experienced this at high altitude.
My wife and I live at sea level and once a year for two weeks we travel to ski fields in Colorado where the altitude is around 10,000 feet.

Last year was the first time I experienced this and I put it down to exertion.
This year it happened again and once again I thought of exertion as the cause, however this morning I was very slow and with no straining at all the same symptom occurred - at the moment of orgasm a blinding sharp headache that is quite debilitating.

I am thinking this is oxygen related for me and I will be abstaining for the rest of our stay. I will test my theory on our return home.

Thanks

Offline the5thforce

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 19/02/2016 19:59:14 »
likely dehydration causing the muscles in your head to cramp after you clench them too hard, drink more water.

keep in mind your brain tissue has almost no pain sensing nerves, so unless you have meningitis or severe brain inflammation, your headaches are almost always externally/muscle based, neck strain can also radiate into the head(if you whiplash too hard during orgasm)
« Last Edit: 19/02/2016 20:07:28 by the5thforce »

Offline clique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 23/02/2016 22:11:19 »
Yes agree - that dehydration and exertion leading to muscle cramps could contribute, however the last time was slow and little effort was expended.
I live normally in a very warm and humid climate - so hydration is always carefully monitored.
I do understand your comments re the brain having no pain receptors and appreciate that the pain may be in the muscle tissue may be where the pain is centered - its just strange that for me the symptoms have only occurred at high altitude.

Offline clique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 05/03/2016 05:55:00 »
Further to my post ... we have returned to sea level and we have enganged in sex twice with no headaches ... I would conclude that in my case altitude/lack of oxygen must be a contributing factor.

Offline jun

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 06/04/2016 02:16:36 »
this one WORKED: eat a few enzymes daily (or often) like KIMCHI, SHRIMP PASTE, SQUID, and the like. this will retain the needed tryptophan in the gut which are needed in high amount after ejaculation, to induce sleep. you'd know it's working when you always feel sleepy. try it. the effect is immediate. back of neck pain subsides effectively. don't eat too much in one serving, which might cause skin itching/allergies................ good luck!

Offline Colin Johns

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 26/04/2016 14:37:22 »
Hey all, I am new to this site... I came across this site doing a search about sexual headaches on Google. I have never had any migraines or horrific headaches until the last couple weeks of having sex. A couple weeks ago my gf and I were having sex and before "release" I get a wicked uncontrollable migraine/headache. Where it starts in my neck area and goes up all over my head, specifically frontal lobes. It lasts quite a while too. I got an MRI (brain scan) and MRA and everything came back clean as well as a CT scan... Blood work was normal too.. It's so irritating because i have tried intercourse and sex with my gf and regardless right before orgasm , BAM! Thunderclap headache.... Has anyone experienced this? If so, what do you do... I've been reading it goes away after a while... I had it once in like 2009. Thought nothing of it... Now years later, it's back... And I've read people can have them once and then years later it can strike again...lucky me, right? Said no one ever... I also have TMJ I believe, where , my jaw pops on the right side... I'm seeing s dentist tomorrow about it and a neurologist on Thursday... But maybe TMJ is putting pressure on my Head? The interesting thing is that the right side of my Jaw is where the jaw cracks, pops... But it's the left side that is giving me the starting issue during the sexual headache... It's the left side my head, and eye that throbs... It's been about a few weeks and my gf and I had sex a few times, each time having s migraine outta no where... She even "did her thing" while I lied there, and the thunderclap still came on.... I am 31/M and sorry if this is not in the right forum/thread... I figured "this can't be true" would be a good spot for it lol. Oh and I was just prescribed a medicine I took tonight, which helped prevent th thunderclap quite a bit... (Wanted to try with the med) still got the headache but it was subjected to only one area, left of my jaw under my ear... So it was nice it wasn't all over... The medicine is like, barbiturate with Tylenol and something else .. It's BAC which stood for something. I think it's similar to the medicine ketoric. (Misspelled) I've been hearing a lot about propranolol. So maybe that's next..

Offline jun

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 08/06/2016 19:04:28 »
hi.

Maybe this is caused by too much caffeine.  Tryptophan coming from the gut cannot pass into the brain.  so maybe eat kimchi, which is a food full of enzymes to make the gut healthy and retain the tryptophan needed to induce sleep.

Offline Elizabeth35

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 26/07/2016 07:24:08 »
I had a thunderclap headache a few weeks ago. Just as many described here
it felt like vice grip around my skull and ended up at the bottom back of my skull, it started at orgasm and lasted a minute or so after.  I went to the doctor a few days later and they did a CAT Scan and a exam, everything came backnormal.  I haven't had a TC headache since, but I sometimes awake with a stiff neck and wonder if it was from that expereince.Ill also get a tiny headsche behind my nose and eyes (very slight headache. But I would get a stiff neck before the TC headache because of the pillows and the way I sleep. Now Im just paranoid-I think. I'm debating on whether I should have the spinal tap done, fearing maybe the CAT scan missed something.

Im glad I found this forum so I can compare experiences.

I also experience severe headache, particularly at the lower back side of the head and neck. It usually begins with sexual  excitement and then it peaks at ejaculation. I had taken many drugs like beta-blockers and sometimes anti-migraine drugs. But I didn't find them that effective. It was the physiotherapy treatment that I had taken from Physiomed in Toronto put a stop to it. Do you experience the headache accompanied by vomiting, nausea or any other symptoms? Then it should be investigated.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #237 on: 26/07/2016 07:24:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums