The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I feel so heavy when I get off the trampoline?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Terence Scott

• First timers
    • View Profile
Terence Scott  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Naked Scientists,

My name is Max Scott, I live in Dunedin in New Zealand, I am 11 years old.

I was wondering why I feel so heavy when I get off the trampoline. I can hardly jump at all, and it feels like I weigh a tonne. Why is that?

Yours sincerely,

Max

What do you think?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do I feel so heavy when I get off the trampoline?
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2009 09:18:50 »
I think:
1) You are tired after your trampolining adventures so your legs may be a bit stiff.
2) You feel as if you can hardly jump at all because you're trying to push off the ground instead of a bouncy trampoline surface so the same amount of force is not going to get you very high on some concrete. Don't worry, it happens to me all the time (after about 2 bounces!).
« Last Edit: 12/12/2009 09:20:52 by Chemistry4me »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2009 09:29:11 »
I think you spend a great deal in the air without the feel of constant weight on your body, kind of like floating. Like getting out of a swimming pool all the water makes your body weightless.It feels like there is no gravity in a way, so there is little to no impact on your feet and body, so you experience more anti-gravity  then normal so the initial jump causes impact, but only for seconds, so you spend less time on solid surface. Your body experiences its own weight at a constant when you try to walk again, The gravity is pushing you down to a solid surface and you feel your weight again....

I may be off but someone else can explain better..

I have difficulty walking and the impact of the ground other my feet causes me great pain so I spend my days walking with a walker and 4 hours a day ina pool doing physical therapy to help keep my muscles in tone.. When I climb out of the pool I struggle as I feel the full impact of my whole body weight and mass.. makes me realize why being overweight is so hard on your body!

If I am off Please someone explain better.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2009 09:34:58 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2009 09:29:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums