The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cancer cure  (Read 8096 times)

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
Cancer cure
« on: 15/07/2003 11:01:58 »
I recently spoke with a woman who has had several cases of skin cancer on several occasions. It seems to be a re-occuring thing. Her oncologyst(SP) has her testing a drug that seems to be working wonderfully. It's actually an ointment for genital / vaginal warts. Aldara is the pharmaceutical name and the drug base is Imiquimon. Does anyone know of any testing going on with this? Could this be applied to internal cancer? Could this be the cure for cancer?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Cancer cure
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2003 21:20:32 »
Haven't heard anything about it.  Just the cure for genital warts would be great.  For women, it's a greater problem cause it increases their chances of cervical cancer.  I would guess that medication you use topically would not have the same effect systemically, if it can even be used systemically.  But topical stuff is generally easier to handle, except melanoma, which requires a wide resection.  I'll check into it and let you know what I can find out.

Bezoar

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2003 00:11:54 »
Well, there was a news report a few weeks ago about a treatment for cancer that is being developed in melbourne and being tested and trialled all over the world :)

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2003 08:00:28 »
Doesn't Australia have a pretty high incidence of skin cancer?  I seem to remember reading that.  Seems to make sense that a medicine that could burn off warts could burn off skin cancers as well.

Bezoar

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/07/2003 04:26:22 »
What about Dr. Hulda Regehr Clark's book The Cure For All Cancers?  It was a man who had been diagnosed with (immediately) terminal cancer who told me about the book.  I was talking with him 10+ years after his diagnosis, and there was no longer any sign of cancer in his body.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2003 08:24:33 »
For those using Aldara for genital warts, be careful.  It can erode condoms and diaphragms.  Still no info about using it for skin cancer, but I'll keep checking.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2003 04:50:55 »
Genital warts, angry lover and a baby on the way. This would be a triple whammy. Ouch!

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2003 09:59:41 »
And yeah, we do have the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/07/2003 14:41:29 »
How about genital warts?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #9 on: 22/07/2003 00:24:30 »
1 in 4 women in the USA is seropositive (has antibodies, indicating past exposure and hence potential latent infection) for genital herpes...

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2003 02:40:26 »
Holy smoke!  One in four?  That's pretty scary for the guys, huh?

Saw a dermatologist friend of mine today and got the scoop on Aldara.  Yes, they are using it to treat skin cancer although the FDA has not approved it for that use.  The results have been so favorable that many patients, younger, attractive women mainly, are refusing even the biopsy and opting for treatment with Aldara.  And it has been so successful that the dermatologists feel comfortable treating without the biopsy.  The doc I spoke to said he is even using it with more aggressive forms of skin cancer with equally good results.  Says it activates the interleukin response to stimulate the body's immune system.  Also has used it when the cancer recurs at the incision site, which sometimes happens if they don't get all the margins.  

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to get my herpes test.

Bezoar

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/07/2003 22:45:00 »
Additional information on Aldara.  Checked with the plastic surgeon I work for today and he also confirmed the information about Aldara.  He adds that for years people used 5FU (a chemotherapy drug) topically for skin cancer and it was very effective, except that it would cause the skin to ulcerate, and people would stop using it, resulting in the growth of healthy skin over the cancer, and of course, it would recur.  That the thing to do was to keep using it on the ulcerated skin which, of course, no one wanted to do.  The Aldara gets better compliance because the skin doesn't ulcerate.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #12 on: 23/07/2003 10:49:45 »
I must confess that I don't actually know about Aldara - I'll have to do some reading - can anyone enlighten me as to how it works ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23/07/2003 18:45:34 »
Bezoar,

Thanks for the info. It almost seems as though there may be a root cure for cancer here. Very interesting.

This herpes thing is very frightening. 1 in 4 is scary!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23/07/2003 20:03:07 »
Yeah, makes me glad I'm not a woman in the USA:D;).

Now I'll wait for Chris to pop my bubble and come up with the Canadian statistics.
« Last Edit: 23/07/2003 20:04:22 by Donnah »

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24/07/2003 04:59:57 »
What about Australian statistics?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24/07/2003 05:52:22 »
Don't get too excited about a cancer cure here.  Remember it's only skin stuff.  Melanoma would be much more exciting.  And if it switches on the interleukin, I'm pretty sure I've read studies where that's been tried with other cancers to no avail.  But hey, we'll take any progress we can get.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25/07/2003 19:27:20 »
OK Chris, did the research on Aldara and this is how it works:

It is thought to work as an immune modulator by activating monocytes, macrophages and Langerhans cells in the skin.  The activation directly or indirectly increases the local production of cytokines and chemokines including interferon 12 (IL-12) and tumor necrosis factor (TNF).  That's all the info I could find out for now.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Cancer cure
« Reply #18 on: 07/02/2007 23:18:17 »
Imiquimod is Aldara and is
actually doing great things!

ikod
« Last Edit: 08/02/2007 19:19:21 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Cancer cure
« Reply #19 on: 08/02/2007 19:18:57 »
Good news: a cream instead of surgery!

Tumor-selective induction of apoptosis and the small-molecule immune response modifier imiquimod.

Schon M, Bong AB, Drewniok C, Herz J, Geilen CC, Reifenberger J, Benninghoff B, Slade HB, Gollnick H, Schon MP.

Fig. 5. Imiquimod-induced apoptosis and basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in vivo.
A) A typical superficial BCC from an 81-year-old patient with multiple BCCs was treated with imiquimod (i.e., Aldara 5% cream) for 4 consecutive days (right panel); an untreated BCC from the same patient served as a control (left panel).
B) Paraffin-embedded sections of punch biopsy specimens of an untreated BCC (left panels) and a BCC treated with imiquimod (right panels) from the patient in (A). Apoptotic cells were detected by terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated dUTP nick end labeling (TUNEL) assay; low-power magnification in the upper right panel (x40), high-power magnification in the lower three right panels (x200). Bottom right panel depicts uninvolved epidermis from an area treated with imiquimod. Dashed line indicates the location of the dermoepidermal junction. Arrows indicate examples of apoptotic (i.e., TUNEL-positive) cells. Scale bar = 50 Ám. Apoptotic cells are seen within the tumor treated with imiquimod. Similar results were obtained for two other patients.

J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003 Aug 6;95(15):1138-49.

...of course all this seems too good
to be true, and over the years it's
gonna show its limitations.
The astonishing news is that a small
and simple molecule is able to do this!
Hopefully other simple things might be
found effective and non-toxic in the
near future.

ikod
« Last Edit: 09/02/2007 18:35:38 by iko »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Cancer cure