The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does superman fly?  (Read 7580 times)

Offline Gyro77

• First timers
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« on: 13/12/2009 16:23:51 »
If Superman and the movie was real. How would you answer the question how does superman fly? Who could give a logical answer?
Its my opinion that we all look at things we have to invent and develop but we are all still folowing the same path. For real change and completely new ideas we need to look at things we cannot concieve. Just think of all the questions we would have if aliens landed on earth. Train the brain to look into the unknown.

I personally think superman farts!!!

nixietube

How does superman fly?
« Reply #1 on: 13/12/2009 16:41:23 »
We are in The Matrix. Superman manipulates the artificial construct of our "reality" to his needs.

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2009 18:20:36 »
According to DC, Kal-El possesses tactile telekinesis which he uses to will himself through the air.
This is how he can fly and do things such as lift an entire ocean liner with one hand and not punch through it or have it crack in half.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2009 18:41:05 »
Initially, superman couldn't fly - he could just jump enormous distances, or "Leap entire buildings in a single bound".

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #4 on: 14/12/2009 11:06:44 »
and let's not get into the whole turning back time by reversing the earth's spin thing.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
How does superman fly?
« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2009 18:09:29 »
As Superman is purely fictional, you can make up any method you like; all will be equally valid.

Even leaping tall buildings in a single bound and stopping speeding locomotives are problematic because of the old equal and opposite force; there would be lots of foot-sized holes punched into the ground.  Oh, and inertia would also be a problem when stopping the speeding locomotives; unless it was slowed gradually you'd end up with a massive train wreck.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2009 22:29:17 »
If Superman and the movie was real. How would you answer the question how does superman fly? Who could give a logical answer?
He's got ropes attached to his back, that's how he does it. They just hid them really well
« Last Edit: 14/12/2009 22:36:00 by Chemistry4me »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #7 on: 14/12/2009 23:29:11 »
on a related note I think the invisible man would be not able to see while invisible.

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #8 on: 15/12/2009 01:04:37 »
on a related note I think the invisible man would be not able to see while invisible.
Agreed.  I also think he would have issues regulating his body temperature.

On another related note, how does Batman pack all of that climbing cable into that little pouch on his utility belt?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
How does superman fly?
« Reply #9 on: 15/12/2009 05:54:52 »
On another related note, how does Batman pack all of that climbing cable into that little pouch on his utility belt?

Only the grappling hook is in the pouch, the cable is in his entire belt, going around his waist..

Duh... ::)

;)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
How does superman fly?
« Reply #10 on: 16/12/2009 13:31:21 »
Superman flies undone............. Zzzzzzzip, that's better!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #11 on: 16/12/2009 13:53:29 »
Its my opinion that we all look at things we have to invent and develop but we are all still following the same path. For real change and completely new ideas we need to look at things we cannot conceive. Just think of all the questions we would have if aliens landed on earth. Train the brain to look into the unknown.

I personally think superman farts!!!

LOL.... I can attest to the fact that superman does fart! LOL...and further more that is indeed how superman flies! LOL Jet propulsion... fueled by his own Gas!!! LOL Well DUH!!!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
How does superman fly?
« Reply #12 on: 16/12/2009 13:56:21 »
Superman flies undone............. Zzzzzzzip, that's better!
Don...  How many times have I told you to keep that fly zipped up! LOL....Don't make me put a lock on that thing! GRRRRRRRR! LOL...*giggles*

The Naked Scientists Forum

How does superman fly?
« Reply #12 on: 16/12/2009 13:56:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums