The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is a normal body temperature  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Diago

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is a normal body temperature
« on: 14/12/2009 21:31:36 »
I've read that maybe what we all think about "normal" body temperature is wrong.  Of course we all think that 98.6 is normal.  And I would say for me, more than think. When I was a kid, I couldn't stay home from school unless I had a temperature (no matter how I felt).  And I remember those dreaded words "nope, your temperature is normal as normal can be, 98.6"

So now I hear whoever came up with that number was wrong.  The real normal is 98.2, but not in the same way. Some people have 98.2, some higher and some lower and its still normal.

So here's the question. I hear that normal can be 1.3 degrees above and below 98.2.  Depends on your genetics (age?) and I don't know what else.

That 1.3 degrees is the thing I am wondering about. I guess it means that healthy people have temperatures from 96.9 - 99.5, is that right?

Two questions really. If that's right,

1) if I have a temperature of 96.0, is it definitely below normal, i.e. something not right?

2) If my genetic temperature is 97.9, and today my temperature is 99.4, I could actually have a fever and nobody would know it because my temperature is in "normal range".

I hope this isn't too confusing, but really its confusing to me.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2009 23:49:31 »
The normal range of human body temperature varies due to an individuals metabolism rate, the higher (faster) it is the higher the normal body temperature or the slower the metabolic rate the lower the normal body temperature. Other factors that might affect the body temperature of an individual may be the time of day or the part of the body in which the temperature is measured at. The body temperature is lower in the morning, due to the rest the body received, and higher at night after a day of muscular activity and after food intake.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2009 23:49:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums