The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Creating an effervesscent tablet  (Read 9911 times)

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
Creating an effervesscent tablet
« on: 15/07/2003 11:06:56 »
The ingredience in Alka-seltzer are dissolved into water via an effervesscent tablet. What is the make up of this transferrence system and how is this concocted? How simple would it be to create this tablet in my kitchen? Can anything be worked into one of these "tablets"?
« Last Edit: 30/07/2003 12:09:00 by Exodus »

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Creating an effervesscent tablet
« Reply #1 on: 17/07/2003 04:58:03 »
Oh, what a relief it is!

What are you cooking up?

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/07/2003 09:39:05 »
I was thinking that Kool-aid and sweetener would be neat one glass at a time, or tea. I'm just scanning the concept of the fizzy stuff.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2003 11:11:07 »
Plop plop, fizz fizz.... i did a poo that did that once! LOL!

As for alka... its a god send! Chris and i were away a few weeks ago and i made sure i bought some. I got very drunk but a couple the next day saw me getting up at 9, right as rain! AWESOME!

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/07/2003 15:51:56 »
OK you can totally make fizziness in your kitchen -the fizz comes from a reaction of citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate and you can get citric acid from anything that is citrus e.g. a squirt of lemon juice.  You'd have to experiment with the proportions and if you actually want to make a fizzy drink out of this, you'll have to figure out how to get the baking powder to dissolve so you don't have some disgusting sludge on the bottom, but in theory it's possible.  I reckon to have a sustained fizzy outburst, so to speak, you'd have to put quite a lot in because those ingredients probably aren't terribly concentrated.    

So I knew this from the deep recesses of my brain but I decided to double-check the answer.  I went to this pretty cool website that I like, and I just figured I'd use this opportunity to recommend it -www.howstuffworks.com  

Incidentally, I once saw the stupidest thing in my life -it was a drink aerator -basicly this contraption crushed a pellet of carbon dioxide and delivered the gas into your drink.  It fizzed for about 5 minutes.  I suppose if you are feeling really creative, you can devise something similar by trapping the co2 respired by plants and infusing it into your drink, but that sounds too much like hard work.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/07/2003 16:36:08 »
Dalya,

Thanks, I'm excited to know that it is possible to do and so simple. I too love that web site. I'll look at your link to the fizz-factor.

Cheers,

Ronnie

Offline McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/07/2003 17:47:19 »
This is fun to do.  When my class is about to study volcanoes, I take three flasks and put cornstarch in one, baking powder in one and baking soda in the last one.  The each of three volunteers gets a beaker of colored vinegar.  (Food coloring makes it easy to see.)We do the prediction thing and then they have to guess which topic we are about to start.

Teachers don't make a lot of money, but they make a lot of difference.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/07/2003 23:52:31 »
Cool[8D] idea Ronnie.  You and Dalya could put your heads together and cook up something fun.  A Kool Aid tablet would be handy for hikes, picnics, or a big family (you know how every kid wants a different flavor).  You could contact the people at Bayer for more information about how Alka-Seltzer is made.

Check out this website too.  http://www.elslaw.com/ppa.htm?keyword=alka%20seltzer&src=overture  Apparently phenylpropanolamine is one of the ingredients in Alka-Seltzer Plus and some say that it causes strokes, heart attacks and seizure.
« Last Edit: 17/07/2003 23:57:56 by Donnah »

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/07/2003 00:54:16 »
Thanks, Donnah, I'll check that out. Yeah, Dalya and I could become bazillionaires. We'll send you all free supplies.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #9 on: 18/07/2003 18:45:27 »
I think phenylpropanolamine is also known as ephedrine which is an adrenaline-like agent. The (fortunately rare) complications listed above relate to its blood-pressure raising and heart-stimulant effects.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/07/2003 06:38:40 »
I'm not sure if ephedrine is still available here. It started as an infant laxative years ago and became, as many things do, misused by adults. It's the core of all the "pep pills" and was used to "cut" (dilute) cocaine, speed, etc.
I think I'll stay away from that route though. The last thing I need is my 5 and 2 year olds all hopped up on "super kool-aid" hehehe.

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20/07/2003 12:52:58 »
Hmmm...a bazillionaire.  And I was just hoping to get paid a decent salary for once in my life!  Count me in.  I'll supply the baking powder if you take on the patent-mongers.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/07/2003 05:01:03 »
Hahaha, Yes ma'am.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/11/2003 15:56:13 »
Today is a sad day for me. You see, in my endless surfing of meaningless stuff, I happened upon something that stopped me in my tracks.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/fizzies.htm

I realy thought I was on to something, however, once again, my plans have been foiled. :(

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/11/2003 20:18:36 »
Thought you'd be happy...no one is making fizzies now.  Try your own, sweetening them with stevia instead of the toxic cyclamates or nutrisweet.  That way you can market them through health food stores at a bigger mark up until they catch on well enough to be carried by supermarkets.  I want a life time supply when it makes you rich.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2003 20:21:06 by Donnah »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11/11/2003 21:40:44 »
There's a company called Alacer in California that makes a product called "Emergen-C".  It is a powder that when mixed with water fizzes and makes a vitamin C supplement drink.  It comes in many different flavors and it's quite tasty and all natural.  Sold at health food stores.

Sorry about your plans Ronnie.  I know how you feel - people are always stealing my ideas and getting them to market before I can even do any research!  :D

----
John

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 11/11/2003 21:40:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums