The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does the molten core of the Earth affect gravity and magnetism?  (Read 12648 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Does the Molten core of the earth have an effect (or affect) on Gravity or Magnetism or both?  It appears to me that there is some connection there but I have not been able to reason it out by myself.  Thanks for information.  Joe L. Ogan
« Last Edit: 17/12/2009 04:01:59 by chris »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
OK, Bass, tell us  - PLEASE????

(I could tell you but I want to give the poor guy a chance.)

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Oh! - I was just about to post an answer, but if you think Bass needs a chance...

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
I'll sign up to this emerging "give Bass a chance" movement...

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Does the Molten core of the earth have an effect (or affect) on Gravity or Magnetism or both?  It appears to me that there is some connection there but I have not been able to reason it out by myself.  Thanks for information.  Joe L. Ogan

Both.  How's that for a simple answer?

The rotating, electrically conductive, liquid outer core is what generates the earth's magnetic field.  According to dynamo theory, to maintain an induction field, the magnetic material (liquid iron) must be both rotating and convecting.  

Not quite sure what you mean by affect/effect on gravity- but certainly the dense liquid iron-nickel outer core, due to its mass, is a significant part of the earth's gravitational field.  Also, diurnal variations in the gravitational field suggest tidal effects on the liquid outer core.

Hope that helps.

But then again, what do you expect from an ignorant fish?

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Does the Molten core of the earth have an effect (or affect) on Gravity or Magnetism or both?  It appears to me that there is some connection there but I have not been able to reason it out by myself.  Thanks for
Hi, Bass, I appreciate your sense of humor as well as your knowledge. Let me explain my grammatical use of Affect and Effect.  You probably know this but Affect is a verb.  If you Affect something you have made a change to it.  Effect is a noun. If you effect something you have caused to exist.  Our English is a wonderful language but is often open to interpretation.  Hope that answers your question.  Regards, Joe

information.  Joe L. Ogan

Both.  How's that for a simple answer?

The rotating, electrically conductive, liquid outer core is what generates the earth's magnetic field.  According to dynamo theory, to maintain an induction field, the magnetic material (liquid iron) must be both rotating and convecting.  

Not quite sure what you mean by affect/effect on gravity- but certainly the dense liquid iron-nickel outer core, due to its mass, is a significant part of the earth's gravitational field.  Also, diurnal variations in the gravitational field suggest tidal effects on the liquid outer core.

Hope that helps.

But then again, what do you expect from an ignorant fish?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Fish? I thought it was beer. Speaking of which:

What's "diurinal"? I never heard of that.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I'll just add, as corollary information, that Mars too has an iron core, albeit smaller than ours, but it seems to have cooled and solidified.  As a consequence, Mars has lost both its magnetic field and magnetosphere, and this in turn has resulted in most of Mars's atmosphere being blown away into space by the solar wind whilst at the same time leaving the Martian surface subject to hard solar radiation.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Diurnal, not diurinal, means daily

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums