The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is Work?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
What is Work?
« on: 17/12/2009 00:53:24 »
I know the scientific definition for it but I wonder if we need to change the definition.  If a magnet is held against a steel frame, it does no work.  But, if I am holding myself against the steel frame, I sure feel that I am doing some work.  Thanks for your opinion.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What is Work?
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2009 05:54:04 »
That's easy!

Work is what I try to avoid as much as possible.

Oh! - maybe you were looking for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics)

"Work" is only done by a force when the force displaces mass. You might expend a lot of energy in your muscles creating a force to hold yourself up, but if you stay in the same place, no work is done. It may not sound fair, but that, unfortunately, is the definition of work! It's probably too late to try to change it.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is Work?
« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2009 06:25:50 »
Indeed. A force that does not move anything does no work, for example the chair holding you up is exerting an upward force on you exactly equal to that of the downward force you are exerting on it due to gravity. But it isn't lifting you up so it is not doing any work.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What is Work?
« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2009 07:41:24 »
Work! Kindly refrain from the use of 4 letter words.

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
What is Work?
« Reply #4 on: 19/12/2009 00:42:41 »
I have thought about this a great deal.  As it stands, I believe the scientific definition of work is incomplete.  I think it should be revised.  I doubt that will ever be done.  I do not want to get into a word fight with anybody but I think the scientific definition should be limited to space.  Either the original definition should be revised to include work done here on Earth or it should be noted that the definition should be limited to space.  Thanks.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is Work?
« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2009 01:40:28 »
I don't understand what you mean by 'the scientific definition should be limited to space"

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What is Work?
« Reply #6 on: 19/12/2009 06:04:02 »
Joe - The definition does include work done here on Earth. I would think when it was origially defined it didn't even comprehend work done in space. What aspect of the definition leads you to conclude that it does not include work done on Earth?

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
What is Work?
« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2009 13:42:48 »
No, I know that it includes work done on earth.  I was just thinking about some special types of work.  I should not have sent the topic.  It will never change and I know it.  Regards, Joe L. Ogan

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is Work?
« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2009 13:42:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums