The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does a compass needle point north because it has a south orientation?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Does a compass needle point north because it has a south pole orientation or vice versa?  Does the north magnetic pole actually have a south pole orientation?  Thanks for information.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is called the earth's North Pole is, in fact, a magnetic south pole. The historic convention is that the north pole of a magnetic will point to the place on earth called the "North Pole" - strictly the "Magnetic North Pole" as it is not in exactly the same place.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Hmm... I thought that the correct term for the end of the needle in a compass that points to magnetic north was the North seeking pole  i.e. it was actually a south pole and the terrestrial magnetic north pole is actually a North pole and not a South pole.   Umm... I'm confused now.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
According to wikipedia...

"The Earth's North Magnetic Pole is the point on the Earth's surface at which the Earth's magnetic field points vertically downwards (i.e., the "dip" is 90). This point moves gradually with time. As described later in this article, the North Magnetic Pole is physically a magnetic field south pole."

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length