The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What masks are suitable for virus protection?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline JanT

• First timers
    • View Profile
What masks are suitable for virus protection?
« on: 09/10/2005 22:00:30 »
Hi everyone. Could someone please help me figure out if this mask currently on the market is for real?

newbielink:http://www.buynanomask.com/ [nonactive]
I cannot find anywhere on this website, what this masks filters out – down to what microns?  

Or is it a different technology than simply filtration – meaning its viracidal. (if there is such a word!)  In other words it kills the virus not filters it out as the main means of protection.

newbielink:http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0410/Hunt-0410.html [nonactive]
nanotechnology article  - for interest

newbielink:http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=938&ntid=131&pg=2 [nonactive] - for interest

Looking forward to someones response

Janet
« Last Edit: 31/03/2011 17:24:15 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: What masks are suitable for virus protection?
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2005 12:28:45 »
This is a load of rubbish.

The site states:

- "NanoMask® designed by Emergency Filtration Products, has been tested down to 270 nanometers or .027 microns. Good enough to stop H5N1, SARS, and other viruses listed in the Virus Size Table above."

The webpage then invites you to look at the table of virus particle sizes which includes the line :

"Orthomyxovirus / 120nm"

Flu viruses are orthomyxoviruses ! And they are about 100nm across.

So their mask hasn't actually been tested down to a tolerance small enough to exclude a flu virus particle despite being, they say, "Good enough to stop H5N1" i.e. Flu.

This is misleading marketing aiming to prey on hysteria.

I only hope that the quality of their mask is superior to the quality of the information on their website.

Think carefully before you consider this.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline JanT

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2005 13:11:25 »
Hi Dr Chris

Thanks for replying to my post regarding these masks.  I finally got some time to actually read everything on this website that sells these masks.

I am most grateful for your response because I agree with what you have said.

I picked up something on their homepage that raised my concern, and that was a point made about "other masks on the market only test their masks to 0.3 microns.  This is misleading marketing because I know for a fact that one company tests to 0.1 microns.

The other issue I have is this mask isn’t NIOSH certified. The explanation that the company gives to justify continuing to sell this product without Government validation is indeed unconvincing.

So, thanks again
Kind regards
Jan

Offline Yobwoc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2011 08:28:40 »
 ???
Pardon my ignorance but isn't the nano mask 27nm and the virus is 120?. HepB is 24-30nm.

I am using one of the filters when sanding woodturning - (most wood is toxic and anything is excess is probably not good) and when sandblasting using beach sand. I only do small items for relatively short inmes (say 1/2 hour) at a time. Do you think they are adequate for this purpose? I have been looking online but cannot find any real info on this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
John

Offline Farcanal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2011 12:22:58 »
The only mask capable of stopping a virus particle is a special glass fibre type used in medical investigations. It's charged with static electricity to trap the tiny viral particles.

When the outbreak of Marburg Virus, (a variant of Ebola) in Germany some years ago the scientists used those GF filters on their antiviral suits.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2011 12:22:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums