The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's a pseudoaneurysm?  (Read 11011 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« on: 24/12/2009 11:50:10 »
What's a pseudoaneurysm? What causes them to form and where?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2009 10:35:02 »
Yey I learnt this while working on a cadaver the other day!

Pseudoaneurysm is a leak in the artery wall, causing blood to collect. This is the same as a true aneurysm, except the hole is outside of the artery, and is contained within and by the surrounding tissues, whereas with a true aneurysm the hole is within the layers of the artery wall, between the intima and media I believe.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2010 10:58:09 »
Well I have two in my aorta one ascending and one descending so if a Pseudoaneurysm is a leak in the artery wall, causing blood to collect.

Does that blood clot? I mean where the blood is collecting and can this be as lethal as the inside ones?

I have trouble with all of these things Pain in my jaw, neck, back, and my chest. I also have trouble with Coughing, hoarseness,The last few months have included more regular trouble  with breathing and swallowing.

MY QUESTION IS: DO Pseudoaneurysms have any of the above same symptoms when growing, rupturing or dissecting ???

I was told it was from my lower aneurysm,, in the thorasic area.. The upper is bigger but I am scheduled for a scope thing down my throat on the 4th of march to see if its my thyroid goiter causing some of the swallowing problem or the aneurysm.... From there we will see.

It sounds way different if the aneurysm is on the outer portion.. how does it contain the blood...?I do not understand how it is a hole if its on the outside.. would you mind explaining variola or Chris?
« Last Edit: 04/01/2010 11:58:06 by Karen W. »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2010 09:28:10 »
Chris or your own doc is prob better at explaining it than me Karen, I know a little and can explain a bit more regarding structure of aneurysms/pseudoaneurysms and possibly why you are getting pain but I don't know enough to explain it properly  :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #4 on: 04/01/2010 11:07:05 »
 I WAS NOT ASKING ABOUT MINE... ITS INSIDE..

I AM ASKING ABOUT HOW THIS OTHER ONE YOU REFER TO, HAS A HOLE IF ITS ALREADY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE VESSEL....?

I AM CONFUSED.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2010 11:10:28 by Karen W. »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2010 11:55:56 »
Right I will give it a go as best I can.

An artery is made up of several layers of tissue

A true aneurysm is where a hole develops through the tunica intima, the innermost tissue lining of the artery and blood seeps through into the other layers, stretching them and eventually causing them to balloon out of the tunica externa, the outermost tissue layer of the artery. To my knowledge, true aneurysm's do not clot, possibly because the artery still communicates with the aneurysm as if it were a normal part of it rather than something damaged.

Psueudoaneurysms are different in that they stay within the artery, the blood seeps through a hole, the same as a true aneurysm, but it is still contained within the artery layers. They do sometimes clot, not entirely sure why other than the artery recognises this as damaged that needs repairing and sends clotting agents to the spot. But it is only a guess.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #6 on: 05/01/2010 02:58:49 »
Thank you I think I get that part now...

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #7 on: 05/01/2010 06:32:34 »
It's strange. When I look at these images and the discussion, it makes me feel quite squeamish.

However, I can happily dismantle/dismember any piece of electronic, hydraulic or mechanical equipment, no matter how complex, and it won't bother me in the slightest.

Perhaps I should start another topic.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #8 on: 05/01/2010 08:11:14 »
It's strange. When I look at these images and the discussion, it makes me feel quite squeamish.

However, I can happily dismantle/dismember any piece of electronic, hydraulic or mechanical equipment, no matter how complex, and it won't bother me in the slightest.

Perhaps I should start another topic.

Lol they were the better ones I found.... you should have seen some of the others...
I work on cadavers, squeamish isn't a factor. :D
Unless of course I cut or injure myself, and then I faint. ( quite true)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #9 on: 06/01/2010 09:18:47 »
So That answers where pseudo aneurysms are and what they are, but Now what causes them.... I know high blood pressure, and Marfar syndrome which is a  dis-connective tissue disease can cause them. People with Mar Far are more susceptible to aneurysms, but I do not know if the cause is the same with pseudo-aneurysms..

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #10 on: 08/01/2010 11:58:04 »
So That answers where pseudo aneurysms are and what they are, but Now what causes them.... I know high blood pressure, and Marfar syndrome which is a  dis-connective tissue disease can cause them. People with Mar Far are more susceptible to aneurysms, but I do not know if the cause is the same with pseudo-aneurysms..

Not a clue on that one!!!
See if you can message Chris and ask him to answer, it was his thread after all! ;D He should know a bit more than I do about it.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #11 on: 08/01/2010 14:30:32 »
I know high blood pressure, and Marfar syndrome which is a  dis-connective tissue disease can cause them..

Shouldn't that be connective tissue disease, e.g. collagen vascular disorder.

[Oh and while I'm in pedantic mode it's Marfan syndrome]

The Naked Scientists Forum

What's a pseudoaneurysm?
« Reply #11 on: 08/01/2010 14:30:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums