The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why can't I sleep when my feet are cold?  (Read 29240 times)

Offline EatsRainbows

• The mind is like a parachute, it works best open
    • View Profile
Why can't I sleep when my feet are cold?
« on: 26/12/2009 22:00:32 »
Apparently this is not uncommon. I appear to lie awake until my feet heat up, however long it takes. At the other end i cannot sleep if my feet are too hot! lol

Google found this:
Thermoregulation -- the body's heat distribution system -- is strongly linked to sleep cycles. Even lying down increases sleepiness by redistributing heat in the body from the core to the periphery.

Blood flow is a prime method of distributing heat evenly throughout the body. Poor blood flow can cause a reduction in the temperature of the extremities, and the researchers theorized that cold hands and feet might therefore be associated with sleeplessness as well. They authors found that increases in blood flow of in the hands and feet, rather than diet, light or melatonin administration, was the best predictor of the body's readiness for sleep.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/warm-feet.aspx

Can anyone elaborate???

Also, why does temperature need to have an even distribution to induce sleep, what is the advantage in that? Im aware that our body temperature drops when we sleep, I think to save energy but I'm a unsure of this even distribution aspect to it.

« Last Edit: 26/12/2009 22:02:35 by EatsRainbows »

Ethos

« Reply #1 on: 26/12/2009 22:48:11 »
Apparently this is not uncommon. I appear to lie awake until my feet heat up, however long it takes. At the other end i cannot sleep if my feet are too hot! lol

Google found this:
Thermoregulation -- the body's heat distribution system -- is strongly linked to sleep cycles. Even lying down increases sleepiness by redistributing heat in the body from the core to the periphery.

Blood flow is a prime method of distributing heat evenly throughout the body. Poor blood flow can cause a reduction in the temperature of the extremities, and the researchers theorized that cold hands and feet might therefore be associated with sleeplessness as well. They authors found that increases in blood flow of in the hands and feet, rather than diet, light or melatonin administration, was the best predictor of the body's readiness for sleep.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/warm-feet.aspx

Can anyone elaborate???

Also, why does temperature need to have an even distribution to induce sleep, what is the advantage in that? Im aware that our body temperature drops when we sleep, I think to save energy but I'm a unsure of this even distribution aspect to it.

Actually, being an old man myself, I could go to sleep even if feet were completely frozen. Ha,ha,ha.........referring back to another thread I think?????????????

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/12/2009 03:49:41 »
@EatsRainbows
Now that you mention it, I'm like that too.

Offline EatsRainbows

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/12/2009 03:55:01 »
I just told a friend this morning and she nodded knowingly, google certainly led me to believe that im not the only one also! So... my favorite word..... drum roll..... WHY?  ;D

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/12/2009 09:42:36 »
If your extremities are cold it is, perhaps, a sign that you should take action to wrap up warmer before going to sleep. A late stage of hypothermia is that you don't feel cold anymore but get very sleepy.

Ethos

« Reply #5 on: 27/12/2009 14:58:12 »
I just told a friend this morning and she nodded knowingly, google certainly led me to believe that im not the only one also! So... my favorite word..... drum roll..... WHY?  ;D
The WHY is probably just the discomfort that comes from the cold feet. I know if I try going to sleep with any sort of discomfort, it makes it very difficult.

Try taking a hot bath before you hit the sack, that should prepare your body with a nice even temperture and sleep should come much sooner. If that doesn't work, call a friend with a hot body to share.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27/12/2009 16:32:26 »
Rainbow, I know that when your feet are warm you will be comfortable. It's an old adage in any army to keep your feet warm and dry. When you go into a temperature induced coma your blood will centre around the stomach, and the brain will be the last part it oxygenes. So maybe this is the opposite, your body complementing you to your choice of comfort and warmth and when feeling secure at last releases your 'attention syndrome', ah, sort of :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27/12/2009 17:20:28 »
........are ewe sure that ewe haven't gone to bed with your feet in the freezer ?..it happens ewe know !One minute you're brushing your teeth...washing and then going to bed and an hour goes by and ewe look down and your feet are in the freezer...

please remember to check.

Glad I could help  ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/12/2009 20:56:16 »
My feet are like that exactly and if they get too hot I am miserable too. I keep mine between two soft fleece blankets instead of sheets.. The last year I rarely sleep under a sheet. My bedspread is fleece so I lay on top of my fully made bed and cover up with nice warm fleece.. I have been known to sandwhich the fleece over my fitted sheet and under my regular sheet then if my feet get hot they can be slipped out and cooled in between the regular cold sheets off to the side!

I believe it has something to do with proper circulation from the heart to the extremities... lying down to sleep starts blocked circulation which may have been the culprit of the cold feet anyway so free circulation will relieve the stress on your extremeities..
Sitting etc causes poor extremity circulation and causes swelling and poor circulation to feet etc.. so allowing that stretch out allows whole body to stableize to more even warm body temperature... just my guess.. and that your heart is aided also by not having to work so hard to pump the blood around to balance everything out.

Offline EatsRainbows

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/12/2009 01:46:32 »
........are ewe sure that ewe haven't gone to bed with your feet in the freezer ?..it happens ewe know !One minute you're brushing your teeth...washing and then going to bed and an hour goes by and ewe look down and your feet are in the freezer...

please remember to check.

Glad I could help  ;D

lol!!!!! you could have a point you know, i do seem to suffer from walking into a room and thinking "now what did i come in here for again?" so im sure it is legitimate to argue that i may be suffering short mental blanks, during which time i manage to insert my feet into the freezer. Or perhaps, "now what did i come to the freezer for again?" oh yeah thats right, bedtime!  :P

Thanks for the tip, i will indeed make sure i check henceforth  ;)

Offline jgand

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • sex toys
« Reply #10 on: 31/12/2009 01:20:34 »
You gotta put some socks on, I would suggest an electric blanket to warm things up. My feet are always cold, but I just try to put it out of my mind.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31/12/2009 06:51:21 »
For crying out loud! Have none of you people heard of hot water bottles?

Get one. It will solve all your problems. Mine has a nice Winnie the Pooh cover on it.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31/12/2009 08:54:20 »
LOL.. I just saw a new Hot water bottle looked ll in the world like one I used in the sixties as a kid when in tummy distress.. LOL...

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31/12/2009 09:28:03 »
For crying out loud! Have none of you people heard of hot water bottles?
Hot water whataa? What in the name of (insert name of someone) is that?
Oh yeah, I'm sure jgand was just trying to advertise his/her sex toys

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31/12/2009 09:38:45 »
LOL Yes I have just seen that  also.. and his and  or her is quite questionable... LOL

Good spotting C4M.....
Happy New Year to you!

« Last Edit: 31/12/2009 09:44:38 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31/12/2009 09:47:47 »
You fill the rubber bladder with very hot water wrap in cloth towel etc.. or hot water bottle cover and you apply it to the area..ie back abdomen etc.. you can do ice or hot water therapy sing a hot water bottle and a ice bag for bumps injuries etc...

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31/12/2009 10:03:14 »
As EatsRainbows said on her first post, "At the other end i cannot sleep if my feet are too hot! lol"
I find this also, after about 3 minutes with a hot water bottle, I've got to kick it away or else I'll never fall asleep, do you find this to be so?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31/12/2009 11:08:47 »
Yes I hate for them to get too hot too. If my feet get to hot then my whole body overheats and off go all the covers for a while!..LOL.. They need to be just right!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31/12/2009 16:55:11 »
You can also fill a hot water bottle with cold water to cool your feet! I suppose that would make it a cold water bottle. You might even be able to fine one of those old earthenware "pigs".

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31/12/2009 20:18:23 »
I hear that in the Swedish 'lotta corps' there was an instructor teaching people that by hastily 'rubbing' your ears (No not rears, ears okay) you could get up the temperature overall in your body. Though she was also said to recommend to take support against the car roof in case of an accident?

Ah, not that I ever have been in, or affiliated, or in any way connected to the 'Lotta corps', well, as I know of at least?

Offline EatsRainbows

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01/01/2010 08:21:39 »
As EatsRainbows said on her first post, "At the other end i cannot sleep if my feet are too hot! lol"

Well spotted C4M, i was waiting for someone to notice that  ;)

Hot water bottles and electric blankets are out, i usually end up having to get up again to cool down for awhile! Socks yes...
Process:

put on socks,
get into bed,
wait for about 15mins for feet to heat up,
remove socks before feet get too hot to sleep...
then i dont remember what happens next  ;D
« Last Edit: 01/01/2010 08:29:03 by EatsRainbows »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01/01/2010 09:54:49 »
In Elizabethan England some (I think more affluent) people used to take a small shaved dog to bed with them to keep warm. Does anyone want to try that?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01/01/2010 10:48:20 »
You mean like a 'hot dog' that they can eat when they get hungry. I would like that!

Ethos

« Reply #23 on: 01/01/2010 11:40:41 »
Yes I hate for them to get too hot too. If my feet get to hot then my whole body overheats and off go all the covers for a while!..LOL.. They need to be just right!
How about a thermostatically controlled electric blanket????????

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01/01/2010 19:27:56 »
In Elizabethan England some (I think more affluent) people used to take a small shaved dog to bed with them to keep warm. Does anyone want to try that?

Our Shona (a Scottie, naturally) sleeps at the end of our bed. She provides just the right amount of warmth for our feet. Lovely on a cold night. She also doubles as an alarm clock. If we sleep in, we get a good face licking.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 01/01/2010 19:27:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums