The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I tell the temperature of a cold frying pan ?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Frying Pan Temperatureolologists.

As a sheepy, it's my goal in life to discover the temperature of cold frying pans ..it is indeed my raisons d'ętre.

It's tricky though...

look here !

A Frying Pan Just Tempting To Have it's Temperature Taken !  Why..ewe temptress sultry pan ewe !!!

However, if ewe touch a room temperature pan with your finger it will feel colder than say a piece of wood that has been kept beside it....the reason is because there are heat fairies that live in the pan that extract the heat from what ever comes into contact with it and conducts it because it's made of metal !....this is true..

So, when ewe touch a frying pan with your fingers it only feels colder than it really is !!.It is not actually colder...it's an illusion yes ?..thus..how does one take it's temperature ?..won't anything applied to the surface have it's heat absorbed ? and thus give a false reading ?

whajafink ?

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah

neil
I wish to discover the temp of a pan
Like Mr Obama I want to say 'Yes I can'
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
How do I tell the temperature of a cold frying pan ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2009 14:19:41 »
Neil you need help sweetheart..... perhaps lay off the coffee today...  :D

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 29/12/2009 14:30:21 »
..won't anything applied to the surface have it's heat absorbed ? and thus give a false reading ?

Indeed it will, the temperatures of the sensor and the pan will approach equalisation i.e. they'll end up at the same temperature.

The trick is to ensure that your sensor has a low heat capacity compared with the items that you're trying to measure, so that the temperature of the sensor equalises with the temperature of the frying pan without heating or cooling it too much.

Let's say we have two Mercury thermometers that have both been heated to 100°C, but one only uses 0.1 cc of Mercury while the other uses 1000000 litres of the stuff.  The thermometer that only has 0.1 cc of Mercury will not heat the frying pan very much when it's applied to it, even if it has been heated to 100°C first, but the 1000000 litre thermometer most certainly will.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/12/2009 14:30:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums