The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cameras, mirrors and videotape  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Cameras, mirrors and videotape
« on: 30/12/2009 11:09:50 »
Hello TNSers

What is it about mirrors that make my brain believe something else? I get dressed up for a night out, paying various trips to the mirror, several checks later and I think I look ok, perhaps bordering on nice. Then when I see pictures of myself from said night out I look like I am auditioning for the Roly-Polies dressed in something Oxfam would chuck out!! Video tapes are even worse!! I look like someone who really is a few sandwiches short of a picnic!!! (no comments thank you! lol)
And what gets me is that people say. with genuine honesty that I look fine in the pics, no different from normal, which means I must look like that all the time!!

So what happens with mirrors?  Or is is my brain doing it's wishful thinking part!

The Pox

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30/12/2009 11:51:40 »
Naaa..people are just being polite....and it's definitely wishful thinking on your part...hope this helps to reassure you !  ;D

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/12/2009 12:32:32 »
Naaa..people are just being polite....and it's definitely wishful thinking on your part...hope this helps to reassure you !  ;D

And you have got some of the worst photos of me!!!!

Pfffft!!!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2009 12:33:24 »
An interesting observation.

I think it's likely that when you look at yourself in a mirror, the effective viewing distance is much less than when you are photographed or videoed i.e. you might be standing between two to four feet away from the mirror, resulting in a total viewing distance of four to eight feet, but when photographed/videoed the camera is likely to be further away than that if it is to get your entire body and background context in shot.  I think the result would be that as you scan down your reflection in the mirror you actually start to look downwards at your body, changing the perspective in comparison with the more distant camera.

Another possibility is that you subconsciously avoid looking at yourself in the mirror from angles that are unflattering.

If other people think you look fine though, why worry?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/12/2009 17:19:39 »
Well, at least you see your image in a mirror. I can't get them to work for me at all.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/12/2009 17:07:03 »
We see a mirror image of ourselves in a mirror but a photograph is yourself the right way around. People are not used to seeing themselves the right way round so to them it looks odd. Also most people are crap at taking photos and video so unless David Bailey were to come around it is unlikely you would get many good photos in a night out of photos. The best photos are taken close up as Lee comments would suggest.
I hope this helps. Personally, I always look nice before a night out but once I have been drinking, dancing, loving, throwing up and sleeping in a skip, I don't look so hot anymore.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/01/2010 10:57:17 »
People are not used to seeing themselves the right way round so to them it looks odd.
Yep, that happens to me all the time.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 01/01/2010 10:57:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length