The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How many scientists are "spiritual"?  (Read 11365 times)

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
How many scientists are "spiritual"?
« Reply #25 on: 03/01/2010 03:42:15 »

I do envy them however as they are content while I still ask questions but I still wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, but look at it this way. If they are wrong, they will not be disappointed. If you are wrong, you could be pleasantly surprised.

And why would any god punish you for using the intelligence that he had bestowed upon you? No. I think he would applaud you for not believing those who sought to take advantage of his message.

BTW, do not assume that so called believers really are all that "content". They have to continually seek reassurance from those who share similar views. Religions are really just a form of "groupthink".

I wonder how many people in the World comply with the local religious customs even although they know it's a load of baloney? I suspect it's a very large percentage of the population, but in many parts of the World it is extremely dangerous to ask questions. And that applies, even in the "civilized" USA.

I do envy them however as they are content while I still ask questions but I still wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, but look at it this way. If they are wrong, they will not be disappointed. If you are wrong, you could be pleasantly surprised.

And why would any god punish you for using the intelligence that he had bestowed upon you? No. I think he would applaud you for not believing those who sought to take advantage of his message.

BTW, do not assume that so called believers really are all that "content". They have to continually seek reassurance from those who share similar views. Religions are really just a form of "groupthink".

I wonder how many people in the World comply with the local religious customs even although they know it's a load of baloney? I suspect it's a very large percentage of the population, but in many parts of the World it is extremely dangerous to ask questions. And that applies, even in the "civilized" USA.

You edited (ie. added 3 paragraphs) after I typed my reply.

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03/01/2010 03:43:46 »
I edited my post!

I don't know about Pascal's theorem, so I'll have to call it Geezer's theorem  ;D

Squaring circles, please don't reply!

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/01/2010 03:46:46 »
A Christian put me onto it although I've probably called it wrong. Its better to believe in God than not as if you don't believe in and you make the wrong choice then your going to lose anyway.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03/01/2010 04:18:58 »
Okdoky!

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/01/2010 16:57:01 »
I've heard Christians people reject that on the grounds of it not being a true belief in God. Besides, Christians should recognise that being Christian does not give them an all access pass to Heaven - & I think many do.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04/01/2010 01:26:55 »
Its better to believe in God than not as if you don't believe in and you make the wrong choice then your going to lose anyway.

It's not as if you have too much choice in the matter. And if you pretend that you believe, and it turns out there actually is a God, it's likely to do you more harm than good when your number comes up.

Offline EatsRainbows

• The mind is like a parachute, it works best open
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04/01/2010 03:59:16 »
Why not just do as Dawkins suggests, first you ask "which God are you?" followed by "sorry but there was not enough evidence" I'm sure you can reason with Him  ;)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04/01/2010 05:35:44 »
As my god happens to live under a large toadstool at the bottom of my garden, I'll nip down there tomorrow and ask him (actually I think it might be her) if that's a reasonable approach.

(Exits through trapdoor into thunderbolt proof bunker.)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06/01/2010 15:14:55 »
And hence this bumper sticker...

Kind of liked that one.
It will be true any which way, won't it :)
-----

Ah that Rainbow, so demure, yet so shy.
And true.

Let's see.

"Yes I understand that you call yourself God, but?"

Looking at him/her/burning Bush, etc etc, real hard, squinting like Clint Eastwood.

"Can you prove it?"

« Last Edit: 06/01/2010 15:20:01 by yor_on »

Offline EatsRainbows

• The mind is like a parachute, it works best open
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09/01/2010 03:08:51 »

"Yes I understand that you call yourself God, but?"

Looking at him/her/burning Bush, etc etc, real hard, squinting like Clint Eastwood.

"Can you prove it?"

lol!!!!!!!!!! Have to say i like that one too  :D Any self respecting God would not feel intimidated by the challenge  ;)
« Last Edit: 09/01/2010 03:11:31 by EatsRainbows »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #34 on: 09/01/2010 03:08:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums