The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Iceland homicide rates since 1944?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline bbooze

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • The History Of Violent Deaths
Iceland homicide rates since 1944?
« on: 01/01/2010 18:48:38 »
I'm trying to compile a list of Icelandic homicide patterns since 1944, but can only find  data from 1999 till now. Can anyone point to any gov't body or group that has this research available?
Thx.

newbielink:http://www.violentdeathproject.com/ [nonactive]

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/01/2010 21:53:17 »
All the homicide statistics I've seen don't include suicides.  I hope yours do.  I wonder if this exclusion is an American phenomenon or if most societies around the world don't consider suicides as a subset of homicides.

Suicides are not a true subset of a homicide, as I understand it. Homicide is a person killing another person (not always murder). Suicide is the person killing themselves. That is the bare bones of it, what comes under the term suicide and what comes under homicide depends on the circumstances. It is also worth noting that suicide is often recorded as death by misadventure.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2010 12:05:20 »
Yes, I think that, strictly speaking, homicide is one person killing another.
I think you will find it's one person killing the same person, rather than killing another person.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2010 13:05:56 »
Yes, I think that, strictly speaking, homicide is one person killing another.
I think you will find it's one person killing the same person, rather than killing another person.

Eh???? You have lost me on that one BC. Homicide is one human killing another human, not an animal or anything like that. And it is not always murder either, the law as it stands has some exceptional circumstances, such as self-defence.

Hmmmm hang on... re-reading it.... are you doing an SC and being really really predantic  about sentance structure? Tsk...

Offline bbooze

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • The History Of Violent Deaths
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2010 20:34:08 »
I think suicide is a result of disease (depression), and as such don't consider them homicides. Though I recognize that a case that can be made for both sides of the issue. For current purposes I'm sticking to traditional "inflicted deaths".

Does anyone know of a study or organization that has tracked the Icelandic homicide rate?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2010 23:31:46 »
I'm going to kill Kerry Ketona or whatever her name is and the Nolans woman, in Iceland. Those adverts really annoy me.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2010 23:31:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums