The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: At what fever temperature should an adult go to the ER ?  (Read 34163 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

This question stems from the fact that my daughter has been at the hospital for a couple hours now ...I took blankets, etc.... down earlier as she was really sick.. but her fever spiked up to 102 and rising so I called her father to take her in to the Hospital...I am sick myself and could not take her in.. so I am wondering because The acetaminophen was not working...

I was always told children tolerated higher temperatures then adults, but at what temperature, should one take an adult in to the hospital, when the temperature cannot be controlled with a fever reducer.. acetaminophen etc...?

Also What about an infant ..these days...? I always panicked if it was 102 degrees, and I could not get it down..so, when should a parent or caregiver become more concerned and seek hospital or Doctor help?

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
At what fever temperature should an adult go to the ER ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2010 18:12:44 »
"A fever is defined as a temperature 1 or more above the normal 98.6F. Minor infections may cause mild or short-term temperature elevations. Temperatures of 103 and above are considered high and can signal a potentially dangerous infection. Contact your doctor in case of a high fever or if a lower fever doesn't resolve with simple treatments."

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/503.html

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2010 06:52:49 »
Thank you for the information and the link litespeed. I appreciate it!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2010 06:52:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums