The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Anyone ever shot in the eye by a tarantula?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline ATremor

• View Profile
Anyone ever shot in the eye by a tarantula?
« on: 04/01/2010 04:44:13 »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34647048/ns/health-more_health_news/

I didn't even realize this could be a problem. I wonder if anyone has any slow-mo action on this?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2010 08:53:26 »
Yes, this is quite well known; some of the big tarantulas including the South American ones, use their own hairs as a means of defense. When alarmed they rub their legs against the body, detaching a sea of tiny hairs that waft into the eyes of potential predators. The hairs are barbed so they can lodge in the conjunctivae and the cornea, the most sensitive part of the eye. This sets up a painful reaction, causing would-be attackers to recoil.

Tarantula-keepers are usually highly cognisant of the risks; certainly the ones I've spoken to have all been well aware of this and they tend to keep their pets at arms length!

Chris

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2010 11:28:14 »
They say you should never brush a large spider off you from back to front, for the same reason - if you do end up with a tarantula on you (and you didn't put it there intentionally) you should brush it off face first!

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2010 12:09:04 »
They say you should never brush a large spider off you from back to front, for the same reason - if you do end up with a tarantula on you (and you didn't put it there intentionally) you should brush it off face first!

What happens if you are jumping about doing the "OH-MY-GOD-THERE-IS-A-SPIDER-ON-ME" dance? That is my first line of defence for sure...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2010 12:09:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums