The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can exercise technically be bad for you??  (Read 2383 times)

Offline ATremor

• View Profile
Can exercise technically be bad for you??
« on: 07/01/2010 00:30:20 »
OK, I'm not in much of a hurry to start my new years resolutions that I'll ultimately fail at. If exercising will increase my metabolic rate, isn't that bad for my cells? I mean they can only divide so many times so why speed up the process? Mice heartrate fast, they die. Tortoise nice and slow, they live.

Then there are all those free radicals being produced by my mitochondria that are being overworked. Exercise seems like a very bad thing to me. Well, at least for the next couple weeks.
AT

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2010 13:41:26 »
Your metabolic rate has nothing to do with cell division.

Metabolic rate is a measure for converting energy (sugar and fat mostly, with some amino acids) into work (while exercising) or heat (while doing nothing).

Cell division is triggered by cell size, ie: once a cell reaches a certain volume, division will be triggered.

Free radicals are indeed harmful, but if you eat or drink enough antioxidants (tea has a lot) you'll be fine.
Even if you don't drink or eat antioxidants, the benefits of exercising still outweigh the negative effects of free radical production.

Offline ATremor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2010 13:52:45 »
Well I had to try. Guess it's time to get back on the treadmill.

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2010 15:42:41 »
Can exercise be bad for you? Well, sure. many things done improperly can cause damage including exercise. Be reasonable about what you do. If you have known problems such as heart disease, joint injury, etc. adjust your workout and possibly see a doctor to make sure that you do not injure yourself.

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/01/2010 11:31:11 »
On the countrary. Your metabolic rate will get more efficient (not faster) with excercise. For patients with type 2 diabetes excercise boosts their cells' sugar uptake and thus decreasing blood sugar levels.

Of course overexcercise can be harmful even if you're healthy.

The other part of your question is interesting too:
If it turned out that excercise leads to shorter lifespan (actually it's clearly the other way around) would people stop doing excercise? Would all of us be living in electric chairs that do all the movement for us, just to get an extra 10 years or so? I don't know. Some people would I guess, others wont.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/01/2010 15:25:42 »
What are free radicals?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 08/01/2010 15:25:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums