The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the economics of wind farms make sense?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline bunker

• First timers
    • View Profile
Does the economics of wind farms make sense?
« on: 07/01/2010 20:02:02 »
Are the construction/maintenance/lifespan costs of the sort of wind turbines one sees in countries like Denmark ever covered by the value of the power generated?

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2010 12:30:54 »
Generally yes - although obviously some sites are better than others - greater average wind speed, cheaper to acquire for development, lower connection costs of to the power grid etc. thus give a quicker return on capital investment etc.

The British Wind Energy Association looks at this question here:
http://www.bwea.com/ref/econ.html
and the UK Governement here:
http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file17776.pdf

Offline Ernest0285

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Energy Idealist - Renewable Energy Jobs
« Reply #2 on: 06/02/2010 14:41:21 »
I am really amazed in Wind Farms. I think Wind energy is an economical power resource and does not produce air or water pollution. So for me, it is really great!

OOPS - no spammy links thanks...!

« Last Edit: 06/02/2010 16:20:38 by chris »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2010 16:22:35 »
As a fringe source of supply it probably works fine but if you try to use it as a main source you have to build power storage facilities (hydro etc) and or extensive grid networks so that you can pull in power from wherever the wind is blowing then it begins to look less attractive

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2010 23:17:18 »
As a fringe source of supply it probably works fine but if you try to use it as a main source you have to build power storage facilities (hydro etc) and or extensive grid networks so that you can pull in power from wherever the wind is blowing then it begins to look less attractive

.....not to mention that they look extremely unattractive and can totally desecrate the landscape. They appear to be quite alien. The funny thing is that old fashioned windmills in England and Holland actually seem to enhance the landscape.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2010 21:28:06 »

.....not to mention that they look extremely unattractive and can totally desecrate the landscape. They appear to be quite alien. The funny thing is that old fashioned windmills in England and Holland actually seem to enhance the landscape.

That seems to depend on who is looking at them. The ones I saw in Germany when I returned after many years for a visit where beautiful and majestic. A symbol of a society/community that has decided to produce clean energy. Admirable, smart, clean, and therefor pleasing. Beauty is created by your brain. Anything you "like" is (or ultimately becomes) more beautiful than anything you associate with huge expenses, trouble, risk, disease, or death. Unless you like huge expenses, trouble, risk, disease, or death.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2010 21:38:24 »

That seems to depend on who is looking at them. The ones I saw in Germany when I returned after many years for a visit where beautiful and majestic. A symbol of a society/community that has decided to produce clean energy. Admirable, smart, clean, and therefor pleasing. Beauty is created by your brain. Anything you "like" is (or ultimately becomes) more beautiful than anything you associate with huge expenses, trouble, risk, disease, or death. Unless you like huge expenses, trouble, risk, disease, or death.

The ones I saw in Scotland the last time I was back were bloody awful!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2010 21:38:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums