The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do we know the valencies of covalently bonded compounds?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline mogsmar5

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi,

As part of the stuff I got given at the start of my AS Chemistry course I was given a table of the charges of different ions, both single-element and multi-atom (my terminology, unsure on the actual names). Obviously knowing this table is essential to correctly writing the formulae of ionic compounds.

Now, is there an equivalent for covalently bonded compounds? If there is, is it essentially finding the valencies of the non-metals concerned and using those?

Thanks,
George
« Last Edit: 16/01/2010 10:17:03 by chris »

Offline Spannerman

• View Profile
How do we know the valencies of covalently bonded compounds?
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2010 18:21:16 »
Hey George, I have just started As chemistry.

Surely one can assume that most of the covalently bound compounds follow the octet rule and therefore would have eight valence electrons. The only exceptions to this that I know of are the Phosphorus compounds that can have up to 10 valence.

In covalent bonding you do need to know the number of valence electrons in order to right out a balanced formulae. The number of valence can be easily obtained from the group the element is in. E.g. Group 4 - 4 Valence
     Group 2 - 2 Valence

Offline bosede

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2010 16:47:45 »
Hi, george
 Most of the covalently bound compounds follow the octet rule and therefore would have eight valence electrons. The only exceptions to this that I know is Phosphorus compounds that can have up to 10 valence.

Offline Spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2010 19:38:13 »
Repeating information, there bosede.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2010 19:38:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums