The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is it that the nerves in the nose can repair themselves and others can't?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline ATremor

• View Profile
My understanding is that if a spinal cord is severed the nerves can repair themselves, but can't get around scar tissue. I'm thinking back on a Naked Scientist episode back in 2006.

The spinal cords of mice were severed and nerves from the nose were transplanted into the spine. There seemed to be some success in that enough track was laid down to improve or gain function.

So what is different about the nerves in the nose and has there been any more progress on this since 2006? Thanks
AT

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
The nose contains stem cells that replenish themselves or regenerate and my understanding is other then there, no other stem cells in the adult body reproduce themselves... Now I am no doctor or expert this is just something that I read in some research a few years back.. I understand that they have been used in European spinal patients and at one point There was a show on PBS That was done by Christopher Reeves..(Superman Character) or about him...on stem cell research and regeneration or repair of spinal injuries. Apparently they had made some progress in movement after treatment with these stem cells, something about the stem cells taking on the job of regrowing the damaged spinal area....
Someone correct me if I am wrong...I do not know how much further then that that they have come but it was an interesting program.

Apparently embryonic stem cells do this too so the nasal stem cells gives the opportunity to use ones own stem cells instead of harvesting them via embryo or fetal stem cells.

Someone who knows more then I will surely reply please give them some time as sometimes it takes a while for response as people do this on Volunteer basis as they have time.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Taste nerves also? So they will regenerate if damaged? I have met people who have lost ability to taste due to damage of some sort on the tongue, but as far as i know those cells have not regenerated and they still have no taste bud action happening..is that the same thing or what? Does that mean the stem cells there do not regenerate or that they just have not or what? This has been like twenty years... the person I speak of has trouble keeping weight on because his food has no taste, at least to him anyway...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums