The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did you see we had a large Earthquake in N. Ca. today?  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
6.5 broke stuff turned over 1400 Lb pieces of heavy equipment tumbled chimneys burst windows ?

Let me tell you This 6.5 was much worse then the 7.2 and 3 several years ago... This one was more violent less rolling faster but lasted longer... first 7.2 years ago was a jolt then roll like good slow long sex! LOL .......

This one registered 6.5 and it was rough and steady with the after burst of energy just before the orgasm..LOL But this orgasm was quite frightening... had me in tears and shaking from fear and not the usual pleasure one associates with really passionate crazy hot sex! LOL

Wholly crap... I was one scared woman and poor Don_1 and Neily got the an earful in a message I wrote under distress after power loss and yet still having tremors my own and the ground beneath my home!!!!

This one was one bad shaker and lasted for like what seemed like an eternity but was really I think they said 22 or so seconds.. but I feel compelled to tell you mine was still rumbling several minutes later in small aftershocks!  I think we have had a few over 11 of them now since 4:30 pm.... They say there is a high probability of a 5 plus to follow in the next day or so.. if they look at history and it has any relevance..
My power came on moments ago and previous I was on my phone then battery backup on my lap top... I thought me house was surely coming down around my ears....scary like hell!

Dude I am a calm Earthquake gal.. but this one shook me up so bad I couldn't quit crying and trembling then I found myself yelling at my son... My nerves are definitely shot cause I never yell at my family... and I mean NEVER yell!
« Last Edit: 10/01/2010 07:04:06 by Karen W. »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Did you see we had a large Earthquake in N. Ca. today?
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2010 11:44:36 »
Not a great deal of news on this quake as yet, but I have PM'ed you with the best I could find on the net.

Wishing you & the rest of Humbolt County well.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2010 16:37:17 »
You are so luck Karen. You have had 37 earthquakes in you immediate area in the last week! The one off shore of Eureka, Ca. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/39.41.-125.-123.php  - this link may be to a dynamically generated map so it may not be the same when view next.

This is what the USGS has to say about it. I have quoted this in it's entirety.

"Tectonic Summary

"This earthquake occurred approximately 35 km WNW of Ferndale, CA in a deformation zone of the southernmost Juan de Fuca plate that is commonly referred to as the Gorda plate. The earthquake’s epicenter is northwest of the Mendocino Triple Junction, which is formed by the intersection of the Mendocino fracture zone, the San Andreas fault and the Cascadia subduction zone. The Gorda plate is subducting beneath the North America plate at about 2.5-3 cm/year in the direction N50E. The Gorda plate is also subjected to intense compressive stresses by oblique-convergence of the northwestward migrating Pacific Plate as well as localized eastward spreading at the Gorda Ridge. The resulting internal deformation of the Gorda plate is manifested primarily by intraplate strike-slip events on vertical NE-oriented faults.

"Preliminary analysis of the earthquake indicates that it results from slip on a near vertical, left-lateral fault oriented about N47E. Large strike-slip earthquakes like this one are common in the interior of the Gorda plate. There are no reports of this earthquake causing a tsunami. Strike-slip earthquakes are less likely to produce large tsunamis because they cause relatively little vertical ground displacement. Shaking was strongest near the coast line between Petrolia and Eureka, CA, although felt reports for this event extend from as far south and north as Capitola, CA and Eugene, OR, respectively, and as far east as Reno, NV. The maximum recorded shaking was observed in Eureka (33%g), which is sufficient to cause moderate damage.

"This is the largest quake to occur in this region since the April 04, 1992 M7.2 Petrolia and the June 15, 2005 M7.2 Gorda plate earthquakes.

"The probability of a strong and possibly damaging aftershock (M>5) in the 7 days following the earthquake is approximately 78%. Most likely, the mainshock will be the largest in the sequence. However, there is a small chance (~5-10%) of an earthquake equal to or larger than this mainshock in the next 7 days. In addition, numerous M3-5 aftershocks are expected to occur in the same 7-day period, but most are unlikely to be felt due to the distance from land."

From: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/nc71338066.php#summary

There are maps on this page as well.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2010 02:44:14 »
Thanks Jim bob...Thats more then I have heard yet.. I have not been able to check damage really I had a crack down my hallway from the 7.2's in 1992's quake.. but so far it seems ok..no real further damage there but I need to get someone to come check it out for me!

Jimbob.. will you explain again how come this one felt so darn terrible..? The 7.2 was rather like an ocean ride on a huge wave surging back and forth,but this one was as if some one picked up the house and was shaking the crud out of it then with the last second or two a huge shake as if to throw the house down.... very violent in nature comparatively!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/01/2010 21:09:12 »
Raleigh and Love waves

When the two sides of a fault move, there are four main types of movement and thus seismic waves produced - Raleigh Waves or ground roll, Love waves and P Waves and S waves. P waves and S waves are the dominant types of waves from a seismic event and cause the most damage.

P waves (primary waves) compress the ground and can be thought of as "pushing" it. The direction of movement is from the epicenter outward. 

S waves (secondary waves) are shear waves and move the ground from side to side perpendicular to the line form the epicenter of the earthquake to the location where they are experienced.

Raleigh Waves moves the ground up and down. Raleigh Waves and Love waves move only on the surface of the ground. Raleigh Waves are somewhat like waves on water they move up and down. Love waves move only on the surface of the ground and move side to side on the surface. Since they are slower moving than P and S waves, they do the most damage.

Just thinking about it I will bet that the reason this one was more sever was that the location of the earthquake was closer than the 7.2 quake. The closer the earth quake, the more together the waves are and the more damage is done. If the waves separate from each other - the waves move a different velocities - there is less damage.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2010 23:17:02 »
Thank you Jim Bob That is very good information. Makes it easier to understand that way.

The 7.2 were somewhere off Petrolia.... which I believe
was further then this one...

Very interesting.. Thank you Jimbob.. Do you have an idea about how many quivers we have had since you posted as I swear I have felt several more small ones...

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2010 00:45:36 »
Is California near Haiti?   ;)  They just had a 7.3 quake in Haiti.

Same hemishpere ::)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/01/2010 08:21:57 »
I heard 7.0.. is that wrong.. Thats horrible a lot of really hurt people and such a mess... So sorry to hear and see all the ruble and hurt people I know how frightening that is....

Just terrible terrible...so very sad...

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/01/2010 10:33:08 »
My best wishes go out to those harmed by either quake and to those who are for them.

On the other hand, I'm pedantic enough to point out that it's essentially inpossible to pick two points on the surface of a sphere without them being in the same hemisphere. The two points would need to be exact antipodes.  In fact, any 3 points are in the same hemisphere.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/01/2010 11:44:47 »
Hattie I understand is seven hundred miles off the coast of the united states.

Offline geo driver

• if you have a smile, share it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2010 12:58:40 »
i thnink haiti is the other half of the dominican republic just east of jamaica

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2010 12:58:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums