The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: In the Earth's interior, what is the transition zone, in relation to the mantle?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline calventeng

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi there...

I am someone who graduated from non-science major but addicted to science recently esp. in geological oceanography. There is a question that I can't find online and hope I can get some information here. For the upper mantle, there are lithosphere(L), asthenosphere(A), mesosphere(M) and trasition zone, with mantle thickness bout 1800miles.

Just wondering does transition zone is a zone between LAM and the lower mantle, or the LAM are part of the transition zone?

Thanks for the help!!

[MOD EDIT - PLEASE ALTER THE TITLE OF THIS POST TO TURN IT INTO A QUESTION, WHICH IS THE POLICY ON THIS FORUM. THANKS. CHRIS]
« Last Edit: 11/01/2010 22:47:41 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
This would probably do better in Geology; there are some dedicated experts there who can answer it.

If one of the mods could move it later, once calventeng has indicated that he/she has seen this comment, that would be nice...

Chris

Offline calventeng

• First timers
    • View Profile
hi there... thanks for the reply and I will re-post it under the Geology forum....
I am very new into this science area and you know what, it's still very interesting for me, even though basically I don't understand at all~ lol....

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
That's alright - what I meant was we'll move it for you; I just didn't want you thinking your post had been deleted because you couldn't find it.

Now you know we're moving it, we'll put it in Geology.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums