The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Food Poisoning  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Les the Scientist

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Food Poisoning
« on: 17/10/2005 23:38:01 »
Ok, so lions can eat virtually anything without getting so much as an upset stomach. Yet humans can't even lick a raw chicken fillet without nearly dying !  So, how does that work then ?


 

Offline thefunkyaquarium

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~lw310
Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #1 on: 18/10/2005 20:44:57 »
Lions have a tougher digestive system [8D]  Their stomachs contain more acid than ours, which kills pathogens.  Their immune systems are stronger.  They're basically built to be able to tolerate eating "virtually anything".  Humans don't need to, since we cook and wash and our hygiene is generally better.  Also, our diet doesn't consist of so much meat; meat potentially contains more sources of infection than plants.
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #2 on: 18/10/2005 22:20:13 »
I quite agree...I don't remember the last time I saw a pack of lions have a barbeque.

Animals in the wild are designed to tolerate raw food, actually, i wonder if they would turn their nose up at a roast chicken ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

Offline nilmot

  • The Riddler
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
    • View Profile
Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #3 on: 23/10/2005 14:12:42 »
The problem with food poisoning is that the bacteria are not killed in our digestive system, or not sufficient number are killed. Humans are quite prone to infections, that's why we have a complex immune system.

Bacteria and viruses are actually quite tough to survive our digestive system. The pH is extremely low along with a range of proteases to break them down, very little nutrients, harsh condition really.

Depends on the type of bacteria and their infectivity the number required to cause food poisoning is different. High infectivity means little number of bacteria is needed to cause the disease. Bacterium cause such disease for example is Salmonella typhi.

The other problem with eating raw food is that virus sometimes is present e.g. Ebola virus. Although virus are parasitic and needs a host, SOME could survive for a few weeks without the require of a host to keep them alive. e.g. Polio virus would survive in sewage for 6 weeks.

If the above informations are incorrect please correct me.

Tom
 

Offline Ylide

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 905
    • View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #4 on: 25/10/2005 02:11:56 »
Enteric bacteria also help to stave off infection from invading bacteria.  It's my understanding that animals have an even greater degree of enterics in their digestive tracts than we do, allowing less biological "real estate" for the invaders to take hold and form colonies.  

Be sure to eat your yogurt.  



This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People
 

Offline nilmot

  • The Riddler
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
    • View Profile
Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #5 on: 26/10/2005 14:33:01 »
Some food poisoning bacteria thrive in anaerobic condition most commonly the Clostridium spp. e.g. C. botulinum

Our GI tract is anaerobic therefore provides an excellent environment for their growth. Clostridium botulinum kill by producing harmful exotoxin, they are not infecting the cells, this class the disease as intoxication.

The toxin causes flaccid paralysis, i.e. total relaxation of muscles. in contrast to the toxin produced by Clostridium tetani which causes constant contraction of muscle therefore giving lock jaw.

Flaccid paralysis is extremely deadly, [}:)] affect contraction of eye muscle giving double vision, contraction of throat muscle making you unable to speak and eat food leads to malnutrient. Most deadly of all it affects respiratory muscle and cardiac muscle which you can guess. But the patient remain conscious until death if not treated.[xx(]

Normally these bacteria would be present in canned food. Canned food are thoroughly processed so don't be too alarmed by eating them.;) It just sometimes the Clostridium spp. produces endospores which are extremely resistant to harsh condition such as high temp, pH, basically like seeds waiting to germinate. They can be visualised under miscroscope as clear colourless circular shape inside the cells! which I've just been doing recently. If they are not destroyed by the food treatement they can thrive in canned food which are sealed and air-tight.



Tom
« Last Edit: 15/11/2005 22:23:54 by nilmot »
 

Offline nilmot

  • The Riddler
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
    • View Profile
Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2005 22:26:18 »
A interesting fact that Botox, the chemicals used in plastic surgery or beauty therapy is actually botulinum toxin.

To cause temporary and localised muscle paralysis so your face would have the same expression no matter what feeling you are trying to express.

Tom
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Food Poisoning
« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2005 22:26:18 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums