The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does anyone have a tried and trusted method for stretching leather boots?  (Read 9373 times)

Offline Ho-ho-ho

• First timers
    • View Profile
Just bought some new boots. The left one fits like a glove but the right one is tight. I have walked around in them to try and stretch them but no luck. So Does anyone have a tried and trusted method for stretching leather boots?

Ta.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There are shoe stretching devices...

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/main.detail.item.826736?ref=fgl&source=froogle

Going to be difficult using those on boots. Perhaps they could be modified so they don't have the bit sticking out the of back, e.g. a threaded shaft with nuts & washers between the two wooden parts, (use a spanner to tighten and stretch boot).
« Last Edit: 13/01/2010 03:29:26 by RD »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Both my boys say to put them on and walk through a tub of water get em good and wet wear them that day until they are dry... LOL says it does the job! LOL I do not know for sure how accurate that is but they are both boys who have worked in the woods and say thats how they all do it, except they use the river instead!! LOL.. sounds weird to me though!
« Last Edit: 13/01/2010 23:54:24 by Karen W. »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Apparently, Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with 3 parts water helps stretch leather.

Wear the thickest sock you can find (maybe even two), apply the Isopropyl Alcohol/water mix to the boot and put it on over the sock/s. Keep it on until dry. You may need more than one application.

I would suggest a good treatment with dubbin and/or wax shoe polish afterwards.

Just had a quick Google, you can buy leather stretcher from several places.
« Last Edit: 13/01/2010 11:22:17 by Don_1 »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Oh boy! Stretching leather boots, I could teach you a few tricks *pants*

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL..LOL.....

Apparently, Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with 3 parts water helps stretch leather.

Wear the thickest sock you can find (maybe even two), apply the Isopropyl Alcohol/water mix to the boot and put it on over the sock/s. Keep it on until dry. You may need more than one application.

I would suggest a good treatment with dubbin and/or wax shoe polish afterwards.

Just had a quick Google, you can buy leather stretcher from several places.
Nice researching Don_1.. Thanks!
Perhaps they have something with getting them wet and wearing them till dry! LOL.. I wonder what the Alcohol does? I will finish reading the link now! LOL...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I guess the Alcohol just dries faster then water! Makes since to me!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
THATS COOL.. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT DONE BEFORE BUT IT DOES SEEM TO MAKE SINCE! yayyyyyyyy!

I actually have a pair I would like to do that with..

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
Both my boys say to put them on and walk through a tub of water get em good and wet wear them that day until they are dry... LOL says it does the job! LOL I do not know for sure how accurate that is but they are both boys who have worked in the woods and say thats how they all do it, except they use the river instead!! LOL.. sounds weird to me though!
  I have used this method and it does work - It is also a good way of waterproofing with Aqueous Nikwax as the saturated leather allows the wax to penetrate.

For my walking/ mountaineering boots, I scorn the use of goretex liners and swear by Italian leather and repeated proofing treatments.   

It also leads to a good opportunity to test out proprietary blister treatments, so it might be worth looking at the ice cube technique...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums