The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: T Rex  (Read 13160 times)

Offline frethack

• View Profile
T Rex
« Reply #25 on: 18/06/2007 17:59:50 »
Raliel, Ive also seen articles that describe its forelimbs as being exceptionally strong and the muscle connections and relative bone size would support this, but as far as being stabilizers they are very very tiny in length.  When you add skin and muscle to the frame of T-r (again...relying on the research of others) the forelimbs become exceptionally small.  Normally in nature, something that is used as a stabilizer has a rather long ratio in comparison to the rest of the body. 

As far as the tail being used as a rudder, it is my understanding that entire T-r tails are very rare, and that much of the middle to end of the tails are missing on all specimens (except for Sue and one found by Horner I believe this past year...sorry to mention him so much...he has done quite a bit of research on T-r). Whether this means that the bones of the tail are fragile, non interlocking (which would seem to diminish stiffening), or some other unknown factor, I would have no idea.  Maybe I can find a recent paper from the new T-r find that has the tail.

If anyone else has any info on this tail thing, I would really want to hear it.

« Last Edit: 19/06/2007 01:55:12 by frethack »

The Naked Scientists Forum

T Rex
« Reply #25 on: 18/06/2007 17:59:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums