The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Rubbing Magnesium Oil on your skin?  (Read 7602 times)

Offline chemtester

• View Profile
Rubbing Magnesium Oil on your skin?
« on: 18/01/2010 18:08:01 »
I get restless legs and heard Magnesium helps. I got some oil and rubbed in on my legs and yes it does help, but I was wondering if anyone knows how effective this would be vs taking a supplement?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2010 04:07:23 »
Would anyone know they had Restless Leg Syndrome were it not for the pharmaceutical industry?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2010 18:09:30 »
I have heard that the pharmaceutical industry "invented" Restless Leg Syndrome to peddle their products, but I can tell you with an absolute certainly that I suffered from it for years before I ever knew what it was, just like three of us in my family suffered lactase deficiency badly before we knew what we had (in fact, we thought we had a "bug").  I don't take any products for my RLS and, when I suffer from it, I ask myself what I did wrong and then try not to do it again.  I surprisingly regained the ability to produce lactase after not producing it for 20 years without knowing why (and a stress test had proven that I suffered from it).  I think it very wrong when the industry blatantly peddles a product to compensate for one's behavior (ie, the so-called CRS syndrome -- or "cabbie/reuben/sauerkraut" syndrome -- hey, I just invented a disease!!).

However, I have a feeling that the industry invented GERD, which merely sounds like bad indigestion/heartburn/etc to me.  As the wise saying goes, "It not what you eat, it's what's eating you."  In the commercial with the cabbie and the reuben sandwich, the passenger in the cab should have said, "Yes, you right, you shouldn't have eaten that reuben sandwich with the sauerkraut, you stupid jerk!  Next question please." 

I sometimes listen critically to a radio program on health and "dietary supplements".  First of all, unless someone's a complete idiot, it's obvious that the whole "interview" is scripted -- complete with surprises, laughs, goofs, confusion, etc and probably the "over the phone" sound of the peddler's voice.  I'll also hear the snake-oil peddlers say things like, "Lots of people suffer from symptoms of (this), (that), and (the other thing), what we call (whatever), and blah blah blah ..."  ALARM! ALARM!! ALARM!!!  Really, "what we call"!?  What's that supposed to mean?  Of course, they're TELLING YOU that they invented this disease or condition!! 

In America (and probably other cultures), it has become the standard mentality to do as one pleases (isn't "freedom" wonderful!?) and then take a pill to fix it, whether it's a hectic lifestyle that gives you headaches or won't let you sleep, or eating reubens with sauerkraut or pizzas that does who-knows-what to you, etc.

OK, OK! I believe you. BTW, you can't have CRS. It's already taken. It stands for "Can't Remember Sh*t" syndrome. I have suffered from this condition for most of my natural.

Offline chemtester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2010 22:25:17 »
Would anyone know they had Restless Leg Syndrome were it not for the pharmaceutical industry?
I have had this since I was a kid.  I feel the urge to have to move my legs or else they hurt sometimes. Magnesium does help a lot!

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2010 03:28:41 »
It's probably because you have a magnesium deficiency. I believe it can be absorbed through the skin. If you increased the amount of magnesium in your diet it would probably improve it. Magnesium tends to relax muscles and nerves. Calcium tends to do the opposite. Potato has reasonably high levels of magnesium in it, or you could try magnesium pills.

Another thing which is similar is epsom salts, if you dissolve them in your bath you can absorb it that way.
« Last Edit: 18/06/2010 03:30:23 by wolfekeeper »

Offline chemtester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/06/2010 23:15:42 »
Thanks wolfkeeper...I've heard of the epsom salts before so I gotta try it! I appreciate your response.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2010 20:29:17 »
What is "magnesium oil"?
Also, don't overdo the Epsom salts.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2010 20:29:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums