The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How is Nanotechnology influencing medicine?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
How is Nanotechnology influencing medicine?
« on: 19/01/2010 11:25:20 »
I heard a story but have been unable to verify it and would be interested to find out from those in the know.

I heard that a company had developed some nanotechnology that was able to work as an oxygen transporter in the blood with a much higher efficiency that Haemoglobin. Sounded feasible at least.

How are we progressing with study of nanotechnology for medical uses?

Offline Kerry

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2010 09:52:27 »
Its being developed, but I'm not sure if it's being used yet.

We recently covered this story about nano-sized molecules being loaded with chemotherapy drugs, but it's only been tested in mice: http://www.labnews.co.uk/laboratory_article.php/5059/2/nano-scale-drug-delivery-for-chemotherapy-drugs [nofollow]

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2010 10:07:26 »
Cheers Kerry, read the link and think this is awesome!!!
I heard about some oxygen carrying nano technology that can apparently be introduced to the blood stream and performs far more efficiently than our naturally occurring haemoglobin. This enables the body to survive for longer period on less oxygen.....not sure how to establish its authenticity but sounds feasible to me. I would really appreciate any morelinks you could offer on this subject as I think it is not covered enough and offers huge potential in medical and industrial fields.

Offline Kerry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2010 09:24:31 »
I've not actually come across that particular story, but we've got plenty of articles on nanotechnology on Lab News. We usually have at least one or two stories in each issue that's related to nanotechnology in some way, and our sister magazine MedLabNews will cover those specifically related to medicine.

A quick search on nanotech brings up the following: http://www.labnews.co.uk/laboratory_search.php [nofollow]

The top on is a feature related to the used of nanotechnology - if you scroll down to the second picture - just next to that the writer talks about the uses of nanotechnology in medicines.

Again, not quite what you were after, but another possible medical use of nanotech: http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=63677&CultureCode=en [nofollow]

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2010 10:57:40 »
Excellent! Thanks a mil for the links and info regarding the source of info. i will add the Lab news link to my favorites.

Offline preeti22

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How is Nanotechnology influencing medicine?
« Reply #5 on: 23/04/2012 12:21:10 »
I dont about that but i have read the news that nanotechnology is also useful in curing cancer.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: How is Nanotechnology influencing medicine?
« Reply #5 on: 23/04/2012 12:21:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length