The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Partitioning problems  (Read 3114 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Partitioning problems
« on: 21/01/2010 18:01:04 »
I recently purchased a USB to IDE cable kit and to test it I took a 80Gb drive from an old computer.
When I tested it I found it had two partitions 10Gb and 20gb so I attempted to re-partition it with Acronis which is normally a good program for this sort of job.
I had no success so I fitted it into the computer and set out to load Windows 7 onto it from a USB device, Win 7 loader has a partitioning system on it which worked perfectly and restored the drive to 80Gb.

Offline AlphaPiRho

• First timers
    • View Profile
Partitioning problems
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2011 10:37:58 »
If you are trying to use the drive to boot windows 7 through usb 2.0 or firewire then you will not succeed because microsoft windows operating systems will not operate through either because there is a security feature within the operating system that dis-allows the action for reasons of lost data if the link is interupted. The 2 partitions are a primary OS and BackUp OS not a primary and secondary. In terms of BackUp it is to ensure that the OS runs smoothly; if the other where to be a secondary then it would over proccess because running 2 OS's is impossible ,unless its a virtual machine.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Partitioning problems
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2011 10:37:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums