The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do different alcoholic drinks get you drunk in different ways?  (Read 10157 times)

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
I often hear people telling me that they can't drink a particular alcoholic drink because it turns them nasty, makes them sleep or it gives them a hangover, headache etc. but do different alcoholic drinks affect you in different ways?

Thanks.

(hic)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think the intoxication from alcoholic beverages tends to be the same depending on what you drink.  I've been told that carbonated drinks get you drunk faster because the carbonation increases the rate at which alcohol is absorbed in your stomach and small intestine. 

On top of intoxication, you can get other (unpleasant) effects due to other compounds in the liquor.  For example, I get headaches after drinking 2 or so glasses of red wine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache.  I know some people claim that fusel alcohols (which are a result of fermenting at high temperatures) can cause bad headaches as well, although this article seems to indicate otherwise.  Also, I've heard that overly sugary drinks can cause worse hangovers as well, which makes sense since eating a bunch of sugar would make you feel bad on its own, even without the alcohol. 

Edit: Apparently there's evidence that a class of fermentation byproducts called "congeners" might cause worse hangovers.  Congeners are much of what distinguishes pure vodka (a very "clean" tasting liquor) from other high-proof drinks, such as bourbon or whiskey.
« Last Edit: 25/01/2010 05:21:41 by jpetruccelli »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I have headaches so rarely that they're a bit of a novelty when I do get them, and even then they rarely last longer than a few minutes.  However, drinking lager usually results in quite a bad and long lived headache, along with a general feeling of being poisoned, whereas my preferred choice of bitter never induces a headache and just leaves me feeling a bit jaded at worst.

Whisky and rum have reputations for being 'fighting' drinks, and I believe gin has long been associated with depression.  I can't say that they ever had those effects on me when I used to drink them though.

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
I think this is simply anecdotal evidence which is fairly unreliable. There are many factors involved here such as amount of alcohol, time of consumption, other foods or drinks that were consumed, nearby smoking, etc. that might affect the results that it's hard to tell what happened. Headaches after drinking are usually due to dehydration. But people don't know that and begin to assign cause that may or may not be valid.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Broadly speaking, alcohol is alcohol.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Broadly speaking, alcohol is alcohol.

LOL. That's a surprisingly broad definition from a chemist  :D.

(Bit hung over are we?)

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I think this is simply anecdotal evidence which is fairly unreliable.

How can first hand experience be anecdotal?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length