The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Help making an Ion exchange column with Dowex 50 x 8?  (Read 6734 times)

Offline chemrbhs

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm trying to make 12 small ion exchange columns calculate the % K+ and Fe++ in a coordinated compound salt. Anyway, I have the resin, but I need some ideas on making columns that don't require huge amounts of the resin, as in using 50ml burets. Something smaller, I only want to run 0.1 to 0.2 g of the salt solution through the columns.
Looking for ideas on what to use for the columns, how to turn the flow off/on, and what to use as a porous for the resin.
Thanks

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Help making an Ion exchange column with Dowex 50 x 8?
« Reply #1 on: 25/01/2010 20:10:19 »
Do you mean 0.1 g of salt in solution or 0.1 g of a dilute solution of a salt?
I'm not sure what the capacity of the resin is but you don't want to overload it.

Also be aware that some resins shrink and swell as they exchange ions; on a bad day they can break the glass column.

My suggestion would be to use Pasteur pipettes with a little glass wool in the end and then put a thin piece of PVC or rubber tubing on the end with a Hoffman clip to control the flow rate.

Offline chemrbhs

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2010 23:26:33 »
board chemist,
I mean 0.1g salt dissolved in solution. Your idea sounds workable. Hoffman clip, Is that just a pinch type clip to open and close the tubing?
I have also located some small syringes, 10ml, with valve tips I haven't gotten a chance to run these yet, but I will try both. Thank you for your input.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2010 19:19:40 »
"Hoffman clip, Is that just a pinch type clip to open and close the tubing?"
Yes.
Have fun.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2010 19:19:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums