The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is distilled water?  (Read 6077 times)

Tom

What is distilled water?
« on: 26/01/2010 14:30:02 »
Tom asked the Naked Scientists:

OK. I know it's used in car batteries and steam kettles, but what exactly is distilled water and why is it not advisable to drink? (that's what I've heard anyway.)

Thanks in advance

Tom Waugh
Switzerland

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 26/01/2010 14:30:02 by _system »

Offline chemrbhs

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is distilled water?
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2010 23:35:32 »
Distilled water is just water that has been heated to vapor and the vapor is collected and condensed back to liquid. The idea is that any ions (salts, metals) will not be vaporized (made gas) and when the gas is collected it will only contain water H2O. As to not drinking it, I have no knowledge of reasons why that would be dangerous, after all it is really just water.
Also, nice to connect with CH, I am x-pat, originally from Zug, Oberageri.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
What is distilled water?
« Reply #2 on: 27/01/2010 12:02:31 »
Distilled water is as described above.  I think the water sold for use in cars/irons is more often de-ionised, which is to say it's had (almost) all of the things previously dissolved in it removed by running it down a column which collects them up (like a glorified water-filter, really). I guess in principle such a process might be vulnerable to contamination, but I'd imagine that would damage the performance of the water in normal use (things would still get furred up).
Can't see why drinking distilled water would be a problem, except possibly in that some of the ions we get from normal tap water are important to health and not otherwise present in sufficient quantity in the diet (seems unlikely..).

Offline mabsj2

• View Profile
What is distilled water?
« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2010 13:16:28 »
Can't see why drinking distilled water would be a problem, except possibly in that some of the ions we get from normal tap water are important to health and not otherwise present in sufficient quantity in the diet (seems unlikely..).

distilled water lacks minerals k+, Na+, Cl-. so it's not as good as normal water but this doesn't pose any major threats as you can get all these nutrients in other foods.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is distilled water?
« Reply #4 on: 27/01/2010 19:12:09 »
Sea water has lots of K+ Na+ and Cl- and is not good for you.
There are only two real reasons not to drink distilled water- it's not cheap and it's likely to have been left lying around somewhere in a lab so it's probably not sterile.
Freshly distilled water is fine to drink.

People are essentially built to drink rainwater which is very nearly pure.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is distilled water?
« Reply #5 on: 01/02/2010 21:30:03 »
It's true that as soon as it comes into contact with the body any ultrapure water will dissolve some material from it.
Then it stops being ultrapure.
So as soon as it has gone past the lips there's nothing special about it anymore.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to explain how the water "knows" it was once pure.
Whatever your mouth and stomach are made from it isn't soluble to any great extent in water.

There are some statistical associations between heart disease rates and living in hard or soft water areas but these are not really related to demin water.

As I said before we can drink rainwater and that's pretty clean.

Offline kabba78

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is distilled water?
« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2010 08:21:00 »
I don't know, how much familiar are you with chemistry nomenclature (especially of organics), but there are two types of numering
di- bi
tri- tris-
tetra- tetrakis-
etc.
with the second used for large substituents

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is distilled water?
« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2010 08:21:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums