The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is a chopper different from a VTOL?  (Read 10705 times)

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Is a chopper different from a VTOL?
« Reply #25 on: 02/02/2010 23:27:46 »
If you simply winch an aircraft up beneath a crane and then drop it, the air beneath it will be compressed "in the process of getting out of the way of the wing".  It will not support the aircraft though, despite compressing a far greater area of air than when its flying; the cross section of an aircraft flying forward is much less than its plan area when being simply dropped.

Refer back to that youtube vid of that very slow GA aircraft landing; an aircraft that is simply dropped will soon be moving faster than that, and compressing considerably more air, yet it still won't be flying.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02/02/2010 23:39:27 »
I can see where this is going  :D You're trying to get me to calculate the volume of air displaced by a wing as it flies through the air!

OK. So do we agree that the air underneath the wings supports the aircraft? If that's not the case, I'm at a complete loss and cannot understand why they stay in the air.

You don't suppose we've established they can't actually fly? I'm always suspicious when I get into one that it's more a matter of willpower on the part of the passengers than anything else. They really don't look as if they should fly.

BTW, you didn't happen to notice a black helicopter by any chance? There's been one hanging around all night. Funny thing is, its rotor does not seem to be, er, rotating. You don't suppose it's using flubber or something, or did I say too much?
« Last Edit: 03/02/2010 07:16:30 by Geezer »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #26 on: 02/02/2010 23:39:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums