The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Fields  (Read 2817 times)

Offline MatejBrada

• View Profile
Fields
« on: 23/10/2005 15:34:57 »
We have description of gravitational force as something, which curves the our well-known three dimensions, and maybe the fourth dimension (if it is really time). Could we maybe describe the other forces (electroweak, strong) in similar way as well? Could we maybe say, that positive and negative charge curve somehow (lets call it so) "electric dimension", so that the same charges would repel and different charges would attract?

Dr. Praetoria

Re: Fields
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2005 21:23:22 »
What causes the space to curve is momentum-energy--a stress factor in which these are combined into a single four-vector (4x4 momentum energy tensor).  Any energy and/or mass could curve space.

Offline Infamous

• View Profile
Fields
« Reply #2 on: 18/03/2007 01:15:38 »
Just a peculiar question for those interested;

Is it mass and energy that curve space or.........is it curved space that creates mass/energy?

This may sound like a simple question but as yet I've not heard an answer sufficient to exactly define which one really causes the other......................Infy

Offline Infamous

• View Profile
Fields
« Reply #3 on: 18/03/2007 02:24:50 »
Something else that I've always wondered about is the question of fields. It's been rather accepted in comtemporary scientific circles that there is no space empty of field. This raises a question in my mind about the true nature of the field.

Is the field a medium thru which an energy wave front can propagate or is the field the energy itself? Or can the wave front only be described as a perturbation in the geometry of the metric? If the last suposition is correct, then the metric is the medium thru which the wave front is transported and the energy is the basic stimuli. Just as gravity bends space/time, so also does charge and momentum of acceleration.
...........................Infy

another_someone

Fields
« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2007 03:05:17 »
Something else that I've always wondered about is the question of fields. It's been rather accepted in comtemporary scientific circles that there is no space empty of field. This raises a question in my mind about the true nature of the field.

Is the field a medium thru which an energy wave front can propagate or is the field the energy itself? Or can the wave front only be described as a perturbation in the geometry of the metric? If the last suposition is correct, then the metric is the medium thru which the wave front is transported and the energy is the basic stimuli. Just as gravity bends space/time, so also does charge and momentum of acceleration.
...........................Infy

If the assumption that some Grand Unified Theory can be created that joins up gravity with all the other fields proves to be correct, then it must imply that they must all in some underlying way be the same, and thus must all in some way bend space/time.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Fields
« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2007 03:05:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums