The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How much carbon is sequestered by the forest industry?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
The industry has several categories. These include old growth cutting of conifer and hardwood trees as well as secondary and tertiary cutting of hardwood forests. One of the largest categories is conifer plantations cultivated for fast growth and used as lumber and paper products.

I suspect almost all the products sequester carbon in one way or another. For instance, lots of paper is recycled, and that which isn't ends up in dumps where it does not seem to degrade. Further, lumber is a form of temporary sequestration because it is used to build houses and other durable products.

I also wonder what happens to the wood scrap produced when durable products are replaced with newer versions? I know lots of furniture just gets sent to the dump, as do lumber products removed from small scale renovations. I don't know what they do with the stuff when an older home is torn down. I suspect, however, that almost all houses ever built with wood in the US are still standing, and will continue standing for a very long time.

Just curious.....
« Last Edit: 28/01/2010 19:02:16 by litespeed »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How much carbon is sequestered by the forest industry?
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2010 16:53:40 »
Rough rule of thumb for carbon sequestration of pine plantations in US Southeast is one metric ton per acre per year.  Some of the hardwoods are more efficient.

The Naked Scientists Forum

How much carbon is sequestered by the forest industry?
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2010 16:53:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums