The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: As a human being, what do you need, in order of precedence, what do you need?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
As a human being, what do you need in order of precedence, to survive?  I will give you the first one, it is oxygen. List as many as you see fit.  Thanks for comments. Joe L. Ogan

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A human being can survive an average of three to five days without the intake of water, assuming sea-level altitude, room temperature and favorable relative humidity. [8] In colder or warmer temperatures, the need for water is greater. Need for water also increases with exercise.

Although there are many amazing instances of surviving well above this average.

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
As you said Joe,

Oxygen ~ 4 minutes

Then there's

Sleep ~ 9 days (people start to hallucinate and can die!)

Is there anything in between?

Water.

What's next? Food, maybe? Seems like a long gap between 9 days & roughly a month though. I guess shelter, but that depends on climate.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I guess we're assuming we are already under the shelter of the magnetosphere and ozone layer, or otherwise have suitable protection from gamma and uv rays, assuming we're near enough to a star to be effected of course. And within a habitable range of temperature, and in addition to an oxygen supply are surrounded by an atmosphere of a gas or liquid of a pressure range that will not cause us to explode or implode, and is not toxic or corrosive to us. And if under an acceleration it is not too much more than 1G.
« Last Edit: 30/01/2010 13:45:51 by Madidus_Scientia »

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
As you said Joe,

Oxygen ~ 4 minutes

Water, of course, is very important.  I am surprised that so few people have ever taken the time to figure out what is really most important to life.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Then there's

Sleep ~ 9 days (people start to hallucinate and can die!)

Is there anything in between?

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
We can assume a conscious, resting/sedentary, average, healthy adult.  And we can start with absolutely nothing ... an environment utterly devoid of everything.

~0 seconds.  STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure).  We seem to always need atmospheric pressure on our bodies (different from oxygen to our lungs) and a certain amount of heat -- otherwise we're in outer space!  And we couldn't breathe in oxygen without the outside pressure, otherwise we'd explode.

~4 minutes.  Oxygen.

<1 day.  Voiding.  We need to urinate and defecate at least once a day.

~3-5 days.  Water.

~9 days.  Sleep.

~11 month.  Food.

Then there's literally our senses.  How long can a person go with sensory deprivation?

How long could someone live without moving a muscle (except the essentials: heart, lungs, intestines, etc)?

(PS -- I bet NASA had this all figured out a long time ago.)
I searched but could find no reference to NASA having figured this out.  But they have, undoubtedly, figured it out piecemeal if nothing else.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums