The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the neurological basis of a shared experience?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Ljcoleman

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have a question which I hope someone will be able to answer. I am coming from a neuroscience perspective.

We all know what water feels like because we encounter on a regular basis, showers, washing up, swimming etc. When a performer is using water on stage and the audience is invited to take part by putting their hand in water to have a ‘shared experience’ what happens in the body to make the audience member go from sitting watching to participating. I have done some research and I keep coming across mirror neurons firing and canon neurons.  My understanding of mirror neurons is they only fire when a physical action is done and then the other person copies it, so not the same as the invitation to put their hand in water.

If anyone could help by answering or suggesting places to look that aren’t too complicated I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Ljcoleman

Mod edit - I've formatted your subject line as a question - please can you do so in the future to keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate? Thanks.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2010 11:15:12 by BenV »

Offline Mr. Data

• View Profile
What's the neurological basis of a shared experience?
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2011 04:37:02 »
Hello,

I have a question which I hope someone will be able to answer. I am coming from a neuroscience perspective.

We all know what water feels like because we encounter on a regular basis, showers, washing up, swimming etc. When a performer is using water on stage and the audience is invited to take part by putting their hand in water to have a ‘shared experience’ what happens in the body to make the audience member go from sitting watching to participating. I have done some research and I keep coming across mirror neurons firing and canon neurons.  My understanding of mirror neurons is they only fire when a physical action is done and then the other person copies it, so not the same as the invitation to put their hand in water.

If anyone could help by answering or suggesting places to look that aren’t too complicated I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Ljcoleman

Mod edit - I've formatted your subject line as a question - please can you do so in the future to keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate? Thanks.

Could you be more specific? Are you asking how the observer has the ability of a decision making? And how are you conducting your experiments?

The Naked Scientists Forum

What's the neurological basis of a shared experience?
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2011 04:37:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums