The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Has space exploration really paid for itself or has itjust depleted our coffers?  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Has space exploration really paid for itself or has it just depleted our coffers?  It appears to me that we are winding down our space exploration.  Is this a wise thing to do?  Thanks for comments.  Joe :. Ogan

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Having mankind restricted to living just on the Earth is keeping all our eggs in one basket; there are too many ways in which civilisation could be destroyed, and even mankind wiped out, by a range of 'natural' disasters.  These risks range from unavoidable asteroid strikes, through super-volcano eruptions, to the emergence of new highly contagious and fatal diseases.

Ultimately, we need to establish additional off-Earth habitats and we're not going to be able to do that without a space exploration programme.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think there are a number of intangible benefits to consider, regardless of how the financial maths works out.

Space science is very inspiring - the majesty of it, the incredible pictures, the excitement of exploration - this must have inspired a great number of scientists who have contributed a great deal.  Not just physicists and cosmologists, astronomy may well inspire people into science as a whole, who then found their strengths in chemistry, biology, geology etc...

Offline alpha

• First timers
    • View Profile
"Has space exploration really paid for itself" NO "or has it just depleted our coffers?" YES

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
"Has space exploration really paid for itself" NO "or has it just depleted our coffers?" YES

Would you mind elaborating further?

Lee's thoughts are mine also. We need to explore or our species will stagnate and die. It's essential we go to other worlds.

Offline Farsight

• View Profile
We have to reach for the stars, Joe. Because they're out there, and we are what we are.

Don't think we're winding down on space exploration. We're just winding down on rockets. Because we've found a better way. Because now we understand gravity, and I've said too much.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
We're just winding down on rockets. Because we've found a better way. Because now we understand gravity, and I've said too much.

Black Helicopter Alert!

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
We have to reach for the stars, Joe. Because they're out there, and we are what we are.

Don't think we're winding down on space exploration. We're just winding down on rockets. Because we've found a better way. Because now we understand gravity, and I've said too much.
Without getting into anything classified, what have we learned about gravity?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Farsight

• View Profile
Search me, fellas. Or better still, search google.

Offline Namel

• First timers
    • View Profile
Has space exploration really paid for itself or has it just depleted our coffers?  It appears to me that we are winding down our space exploration.  Is this a wise thing to do?  Thanks for comments.  Joe :. Ogan

Exploration of land has paid. Exploration of seas has paid. For both there were lot of people who thought they were just waste of resources.

So far biggest advantage we have from space exploration are satelites. No one knows what else useful we might figure out. Only thing we know is that if we stop exploring we won't find anything for sure.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
We need to explore space, as you said our first efforts have cost us a lot, but it have also joined people from all over the world in searching for new ideas how to do it even better. And compare it to our other 'sport' war. Which one do you think have cost mankind the most?

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
We need to explore space, as you said our first efforts have cost us a lot, but it have also joined people from all over the world in searching for new ideas how to do it even better. And compare it to our other 'sport' war. Which one do you think have cost mankind the most?

Without a doubt "WAR".  I propose that, when any politician declares war, he immediately resign his position and report to his country's army to serve while the war is in session.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Lovely idea Joe. And I want them all in the front line.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums