The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: From a Scientific point of view, should we end the endless wars we are engaged ?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
From a Scientific point of view, should we end the endless wars we are engaged in and return to our nation and let other countries take care of their own business.  We are in danger of becoming a banana republic.  We could then concentrate on rebuilding our business situation.  We could concentrate on better education, improving our technological base and doing things for the benefit of our country.  We can not continue to spend money the way we are spending it.  If we are to survive as a nation, we must seriously consider making changes before it is too late.  I think the Scientific people should take the lead in notifying our leaders of our concern.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If by "our nation" you're talking about the USA, then I definitely agree education should be improved. I know many many americans are intelligent, but this old video clip still shocks me

In fact you could probably get such stupid answers from people in my own country (well, almost :p) it really is a dilemma.

I'm not sure there is a scientific view concerning war. It's opinion whether you should invade a country for whatever reason or leave them and worry about your own country.

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
You seem very intent on using science to explain or understand things it simply cannot. It is better not to because it:
It protects civilisation (science has been & is used to justify atrocities)
It protects scientific integrity

This is as daft as thinking about using any single thing to guide public policy. By their nature, civilisations are vast & complex, not reducible to one variable. Wars, which concern many such civilisations, both present & past, are even more complicated.

Science has neither the power nor the right context to end wars. Look at this, for example:

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
You seem very intent on using science to explain or understand things it simply cannot. It is better not to because it:
It protects civilisation (science has been & is used to justify atrocities)
It protects scientific integrity

This is as daft as thinking about using any single thing to guide public policy. By their nature, civilisations are vast & complex, not reducible to one variable. Wars, which concern many such civilisations, both present & past, are even more complicated.

Science has neither the power nor the right context to end wars. Look at this, for example:

Yes, I think you  are probably right.  Thanks.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Hi, Discover Dave.  I am not sure that Congress listens to anyone.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Joe, wars are made by people. Like when man and female argue, sometimes over things that have nothing to do with why they really are mad at each other. At other times its because someone wants something the other one have, and sometimes just because 'they can'.

Fighting seems to be a part of being human, and also, when it comes to show, we use our kids for doing it. Most of us that are a little older know the stupidity of them, wars I mean :) But there will always be the 'manipulators' that feel they can gain something from it.

But a real war need participants, and the more 'innocent' you are the easier it will be to fool you that war is a 'glorious thing'. And when you're young your emotions runs high, as your beliefs. What will break that trend is when people starts to learn, the younger the better. Educated youngsters will still make mistakes, and their emotions and beliefs will make them more stubborn in their views than us older ones but they will have a larger base from where to decide.

It's like a flashlight, when you're young you're standing at the start of that light cone. The more you learn the larger your light cone will become and the more you will see. That automatically gives you more experiences to compare someones statement against. Rulers don't necessarily want their subjects to be educated, not in a hierarchy, it may bring them more trouble than relief.

So the Internet like you're doing, and learning new things is the best way there is to widen that light cone man. Be cool and keep on posting.
==

The other side of that equation will then be those older ones that newer widened their light cone, and still made it to a 'great age' :) Those will tell you that it was 'because I never *** that I/we made it so far. And if you are a true *** then you need to believe in ***' They use their own life's as the one and true example of how life should be lived, and when you contradict them they just get mad, because *they know*.

Nobody *knows* :)
But we can all learn.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2010 00:21:50 by yor_on »

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Joe, wars are made by people. Like when man and female argue, sometimes over things that have nothing to do with why they really are mad at each other. At other times its because someone wants something the other one have, and sometimes just because 'they can'.

Fighting seems to be a part of being human, and also, when it comes to show, we use our kids for doing it. Most of us that are a little older know the stupidity of them, wars I mean :) But there will always be the 'manipulators' that feel they can gain something from it.

But a real war need participants, and the more 'innocent' you are the easier it will be to fool you that war is a 'glorious thing'. And when you're young your emotions runs high, as your beliefs. What will break that trend is when people starts to learn, the younger the better. Educated youngsters will still make mistakes, and their emotions and beliefs will make them more stubborn in their views than us older ones but they will have a larger base from where to decide.

It's like a flashlight, when you're young you're standing at the start of that light cone. The more you learn the larger your light cone will become and the more you will see. That automatically gives you more experiences to compare someones statement against. Rulers don't necessarily want their subjects to be educated, not in a hierarchy, it may bring them more trouble than relief.

So the Internet like you're doing, and learning new things is the best way there is to widen that light cone man. Be cool and keep on posting.
==

The other side of that equation will then be those older ones that newer widened their light cone, and still made it to a 'great age' :) Those will tell you that it was 'because I never *** that I/we made it so far. And if you are a true *** then you need to believe in ***' They use their own life's as the one and true example of how life should be lived, and when you contradict them they just get mad, because *they know*.

Nobody *knows* :)
But we can all learn.
Yor-on.  You are a rather intelligent guy.  You recognize that we all have gaps in our knowledge.  And that it is important to keep trying to fill those gaps.  Thanks for your comments.  Joe L. Ogan
« Last Edit: 10/02/2010 00:44:20 by Joe L. Ogan »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Well you seem to do okay too.
We will both learn, heh :)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Righto!  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
If by "our nation" you're talking about the USA, then I definitely agree education should be improved. I know many many americans are intelligent, but this old video clip still shocks me

One has to remember that 50% of people in all countries are below average I.Q.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

In fact you could probably get such stupid answers from people in my own country (well, almost :p) it really is a dilemma.

I'm not sure there is a scientific view concerning war. It's opinion whether you should invade a country for whatever reason or leave them and worry about your own country.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length