The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hoodia diet pills do they work?  (Read 295890 times)

Offline GrahamK

• View Profile
Re: Hoodia diet pills do they work?
« Reply #125 on: 09/08/2006 09:49:44 »
We have gone over this a few times in the thread about hoodoba

They have really poor feedback on a few forums if you search around for customer service and effect of item (mainly lack of)

Graham

Offline JaneB

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 09/08/2006 12:28:35 »
Message for GrahamK

Hi Graham - sorry to put this on you but you seem to be a regular contributor and I have followed much of what you say with confidence so I hope you won't mind me asking you this directly...as you had emailed *******************on a Sunday afternoon and received a reply almost immediately I thought that this showed that they would be good with their customer service.  So I sent them an email with a couple of questions myself that afternoon.  To date I haven't received a reply which has really disappointed me.  They are not answering their phone either.  Forgive me, but it occurs to me that they responded to you immediately becasue you work for them.  Do you?  Is that why you endorse them and their product?

Forgive me for being so confrontational but I want to understand who's comments I can trust on this forum. I don't understand why you would get an immediate response on a Sunday afternoon and I haven't had one in 9 days or why they would put a phone number on their website but not answer it which could mean they are losing a great deal of business.  If they are not answering the phone for sales it strikes me that they certainly wouldn't answer it for post sales concerns and this is exactly what you criticise Hoodoba for.  I emphasise that I really don't mean to be rude to you (I simply want "proof" that this is the right company to buy from) and I hope you will reply openly and honestly.

( PLEASE NO ADVERTISING LINKS )
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 06:19:48 by Karen W. »

Offline GrahamK

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 09/08/2006 13:33:51 »
At jane,

You right just called them and no answer

I think they have stopped taking orders over the phone or something as it mentions about the telephone ordering system not being available

They are quite responsive to emails as i have only ever ordered via the net.

Perhaps you should drop them an email if you have any questions

P.S i have a busy schedule in my life,I have no time to work for these guys [^]

Offline GrahamK

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 09/08/2006 13:40:21 »
Also jane,

To be frank im just expressing my views about hoodia in general as i have wasted lots of money trying different brands

I am forcing no one to use what i do,Its a totally your choice...But this forum is about sharing ideas and experiences not just selling some ones product.

Please accept my apolgies if you think ive been harsh,But i have had no thanks much on this forum for my contribution

Im going to leave it there

Offline JaneB

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 09/08/2006 13:53:42 »
Hi Graham

Thanks for your speedy response - of COURSE I don't think you're being harsh!  I was the one being confrontational!  I would have totally understood if you had fired back with both barrels!  I did already email them plus a reminder and no respoonse - hence why I got spooked by them and was worried that you were a "mole"!!  Glad you're not, because I and I'm sure others, have noticed and appreciated your contributions to the site.  I just want to find a company that I can trust with my order and be confident of.

BTW, would you be prepared to say if you've lost weight using the pills and if so how much and in what timeframe?  I would be really interested and encouraged to know.

Offline GrahamK

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 09/08/2006 14:05:55 »
Hiya jane,

The weight loss is from a controlled diet along with using the pure hoodia diet pills.

The hoodia just makes the dieting a lot easier when it reduces your hunger and completes your day with minimal eating

I have to stress you need still need to maintain a good diet along with these pills in order to see results

Im currently on a weight loss of about a stone since i last started but have gone off the rails a few times in these past months :D

Its a very good program to run beside your diet as it makes it a lot easier

GrahamK

Offline JaneB

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 09/08/2006 14:36:55 »
Hi Graham

Totally understand that there's no "miracle" out there.  I just want/need some help to stick on the fabled "good dieting routine"!!  If the pills can just help reduce those overeating urges I will be delighted.  Good to know you have been able to shift a stone - well done.  I expect to go off the rails as it's part of life and the weight problems that many of us have.  But if the pills will help us get back on the rails then I will be eternally grateful!  Good luck to you.

Jane

Offline sciencebase

• View Profile
    • http://www.sciencebase.com
« Reply #132 on: 10/08/2006 08:47:30 »
I put together a FAQ on Hoodia gordonii, there is not yet available any legal diet pill containing extracts of this desert succulent plant. I'd be very wary of accepting any claims made by advertisers or sites claiming to sell Hoodia.

Here's the Hoodia gordonii FAQ: newbielink:http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/hoodia-gordonii-faq.html [nonactive]

Offline GrahamK

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 10/08/2006 09:47:10 »
@sciencebase

you saying there is over 1000+ legit businesses over the world selling fake hoodia and breaking the law ?

I dont buy it,These guys would have been strung and quarted by now

Im not convinced with your blog

I will say there probably is a few companies selling rubbish hoodia (as i have found out to a great cost) But not all these companies can be law breakers and selling a fake product ?

GrahamK

Offline JaneB

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 10/08/2006 12:46:15 »
Hi Sciencebase

I've done a huge amount of research on this subject recently and whilst I'm not not claiming to be an authority, or to have interpreted everything correctly, I do believe you'll find that the details in your FAQ are a bit out of date now and they are also perhaps a bit misleading.  (No criticism intended, what isn't confusing and misleading on this subject!).  

The way I read it is this.  Phytopharm have a patent on P57 which is what they called the active ingredient in hoodia gordonii.  They do not have a licence on the actual plant or active ingredient itself which may be grown, harvested and distributed as long as the correct South African licences are obtained.  Phytopharms licence over "extracts of P57" mean that no one else could/should claim to sell "extracts" but this is a scientific term and shouldn't be interpreted as meaning that there is definitely no active ingredient in any hoodia products provided today as a food supplement.  I must say though, it would be good if Phytopharm would continue their experiments on their P57 and make a trustworthy, perfect diet pill.  Know that I would be first in the queue to buy it!  But as they have now sold their licence to Unilever, (i.e. transferring hoodia from pharmeceutical to food industry) who are manufacturers of Slimfast products amongst others, maybe they won't have a real sense of urgency to complete the work!  

In the meantime, lets have a try of some of the other hoodia products out there which whilst they might not be perfected into a pharmeceutical pill, may offer diet help as a food suppliment as long as they contain best quality hoodia gordonii, with no skin and prickles parts and from plants grown in South Africa which seems to have the right conditions to maximise the amount of active ingredient in the plant.

I think the fact that some people are reporting that they have experienced help and hope from such products, means that we should continue trying them whilst the "perfect pill" is still (hopefully) being perfected by the scientists in whichever industry they are in.  That's my view anyway!

Have a look at some of these sites and the links coming out of them which I feel are really helpful and are from current articles written this year (2006).

(WE cannot provide Free space for these Advertising links)

GrahamK - I spoke to someone from **************and they answered all my questions completely and fairly.  (They have not responded previously becasue of the technical problems they are having currently.) They get their Super Slim 400 from **************who we could buy from directly but as I have given *************** such a hard time in my posts above I feel it only fair to buy from them!!  Also, you speak well of them and I think that recommendations count for a whole lot.

Thanks everyone for your submissions, it's really helped with my research.  I'm going to give these things a try!

(NO ADVERTISING)
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 06:36:59 by Karen W. »

Offline niknaksbarbeque

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 11/08/2006 19:06:33 »
Jane,

Have you tried the Super Slim 400 yet? V.Interested, if they work or not. Would love it if they got the thumbs up, if so, I'd go and order (no pressure on you tho').

I saw that Holland and Barrett were selling Hoodia, but after all the horror stories about fakes, I decided to see what's recommended on forums etc.

You and Graham, seem pretty thorough :)

Offline niknaksbarbeque

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 12/08/2006 00:26:27 »
Uck stuff it, I've just went and ordered them. I'll post updates to let you guys know if they've worked.

Wish we could get Hoodia Hoodia by Millenium Health in the uk, it seems to be really recommended and they went on the news! Oh well

Offline postman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 15/08/2006 12:54:38 »
I'd like to add something to this pot - namely some information on a relatively recently discovered hormone called ghrelin.  Ghrelin regulates the energy balance by increasing hunger.  Humans injected with ghrelin have reported intense hunger.  Ghrelin levels increase before meals and decrease after meals.  Reading about ghrelin makes me wonder if hoodia's effect is to reduce the concentration of this hormone.

newbielink:http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/gi/ghrelin.html [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050402/bob9.asp [nonactive]

Offline Brian The Snail

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 15/08/2006 14:16:14 »
Hi all,

I've found that the pills really work with controlling the hunger through the day which is great, but am not really noticing the weight loss yet, been on them a week and have lost around 2lbs.

Cut out all Ciders and Lagers, only had a few glasses of wine on the weekend, evening meals are still reasonably healthy such as meat, veg, potatoes, and smaller portions of other meals that aren't quite so healthy!  Also have cut out all bread, so no sandwiches at work, just salads, and at the moment I have ryvita and Philadelphia!

Exercising around 2-3 times a week too.

Offline JaneB

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 15/08/2006 15:25:17 »
Hi Niknaksbarbeque

Sorry I didn't respond sooner - having made up my mind which product to buy I haven't checked this site for the last few days.  Well the Superslim 400 arrived this morning and I took two an hour before lunch and I guess I'll take one or two before dinner tonight and see how I feel.  Good luck for when yours arrives.

Brian the Snail - your "recipe" looks good to me, I'm sure you'll have great success if you can keep that up.  I have a terrible problem with bread and I'm hoping that the Hoodia will help me just leave it alone entirely and stick to the Ryvita like you.

I see that Karen the moderator has been through this site with her red marking pen!  Karen , sorry, I didn't realise we weren't allowed to put links in.  It's a shame as personally, I don't see it as advertising, I just see it as a way to point people to the info that is of interest; we'll all make up our own minds about whether we buy or not.  Anyway, sorry, no offence meant.
Good luck everyone.

Offline niknaksbarbeque

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 16/08/2006 00:47:36 »
Hey Jane,

Nae bother, glad the Super Slim arrived, let us know how it's going.

Expecting my Super Slim 400 tommorrow, will post what happens (If anything. If they can stop me going to the vending machine during my p*ss boring day as a worker bee, then they truely are miraclulous. "mmmm twix, now I'm comfy"

Also apologies to the mods, didn't know you couldn't be specific with addresses/products etc.

Offline Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 16/08/2006 06:40:13 »
Recently at the mall someone was selling suckers with hoodia in them.. since my mom and i were going to be working and away from home for a month, and our job mostly consists of driving for many hours each day, we decided we would try them to see if they curve our appetite. we were also told that where hoodia originates, natives SUCK on the hoodia plant, so these suckers would be more benificial than the hoodia pill. we did a lot of research and bought a bulk supply of these suckers. after using them for a month i dont know if they have worked. i havent lost any weight if that helps, i think ive even gained a few pounds. however, i did notice an increase in my energy, which i hear is also a benifit of hoodia.. so i think my mom and i agree that its something sufficient to eat instead of eating a candy bar or something with far more calories, but i dont think it makes us any less hungry..

becca :)

Offline lornalegs11

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 16/08/2006 11:10:55 »
Hi

Thought I would like to tell you about my experience.  I bought Hoodia 800mg from Vitamin World in Florida.  I started taking it on 7th July when I arrived home.  To date I have not lost one ounce - not even half an ounce - however what I have noticed is that I am toning up - my stomach has gone flatter, my midriff is reducing and both my thighs and upper arms have toned up quite a bit.  I don't actually mind not losing the weight if I lose the fat and inches instead.

Has anyone else noticed this happening to them.

I take one capsule three times a day approx 1 hour before food and I have noticed a significant decrease in my hunger pangs - although I am not a big eater it was what I was eating, chocolate, biscuits, crips etc. all the nice but totally fattening things.  However I now have a breakfast, lunch and main meal - I try to keep them relatively healthy but to be honest sometimes I really have to force myself to eat something so as to keep my blood sugar levels up.

Would be glad to hear any other comments re the toning up bit.

Cheers!

Offline clodiana

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 16/08/2006 18:48:35 »
Originally posted by lornalegs11

Hi

" I started taking it on 7th July when I arrived home.  To date I have not lost one ounce - not even half an ounce - however what I have noticed is that I am toning up -"

I lost 5 kilos on the first 15 days, ans onthe last 15 days I didnīt loose anything but I can dress some "jeans" that I couldnīt anymore. Itīs similar yous case. Go on, and good luck. Iīm happy and full of energy.
:D

Offline sciencebase

• View Profile
    • http://www.sciencebase.com
« Reply #144 on: 17/08/2006 09:48:08 »
GrahamK, it wouldn't be the first time an industry had mis-sold its products on the basis of active ingredients that don't exist. Homeopathy is a multimillion (if not billion dollar) industry, for instance. The few studies that have analysed hoodia products for the "active" ingredient have shown that many of them contain none or very, very little. It could be that there's another active ingredient but why would Phytopharm not have patented that too...

Either way the San are not gaining from their traditional knowledge in the way that was hoped.

Offline butterfly7667

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 18/08/2006 04:54:20 »
I just started taking hoodia 2 days ago and some how in those 2 days I lost 4 pounds and I dont lose wieght easily!!! I think it works great!! I am not hungery for about 5 hours after I take it! Good luck everyone!:)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 18/08/2006 07:40:58 »
Jane No offence taken, just trying to do my job as I understand it.  Enjoy the forum please and No worries!!

Karen

Offline postman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 19/08/2006 09:23:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by butterfly7667

I just started taking hoodia 2 days ago and some how in those 2 days I lost 4 pounds and I dont lose wieght easily!!! I think it works great!! I am not hungery for about 5 hours after I take it! Good luck everyone!:)

butterfly, that's great.  What brand did you use?

Offline mannyo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 21/08/2006 03:34:27 »
Hi,
 About three days ago I started taking Dex-L10 that I got from the local vitamin store. I take one, half an our before my two biggest meals( lunch,and dinner). I notice my hunger has been decreased and that I get a filling feeling with eating less food. I just started so I am hoping with time hunger feelings go away even more but for being the first couple of days I am very encouraged by what I am seeing.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 21/08/2006 16:45:55 »
No links allowed,You will get a warning i think !

Anyway i have been reading though the posts and it seems the super slim 400 pure hoodia looks like a good option..
Going to order a few bottles and see what happens[:0]
« Last Edit: 22/08/2006 16:39:21 by Greg »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #149 on: 21/08/2006 16:45:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length