The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does Gecky The Gecko Know That He Is Camouflaged Correctly ?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps Of Academic Wonderfun & Joyness.

As a sheepy I of course know all that there needs to know about camouflaging myself.

look, can ewe see me here ?..No, ewe can not !..only a keen sense of smell may help ewe !

Me Camouflaged Extremely Well Earlier Today

One thing I can't do (unless I use paint) is change my camouflage like Gecky The Gecko here.

He is a master of the art ...lookee see !!

Gecky Being Master Of The Art Yesterday

But how does Gecky know that he is the right colour ? does any animal capable of multiple camouflage colouration know that it is camouflaged correctly ?....Cuttle Fish are very good aren't they ?..Do they have a mirror ?
Are they able to actually look at themselves as well as the thing they are camouflaged as ?...does camouflaging themselves use up a lot of energy ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuk into my neighbours house at 3am this morning and subjected him to a three hour ordeal of what he thought was poltergeist fun..I was camouflaged as his bedroom wall....throwing his stuff about , banging on his wall whilst clapping his head in between cymbals brought fun, luff and merriment to us both.....and then for a finale lifting his bed up whilst he was in it and squeezing it into his shower cubicle yielded no luck there !...and yet..he should thank me for cleaning his bed !

So, can ewe help me understand the nature of why certain animals like Gecky actually know that they are the same colour as the thing they are echoing ?

whajafink ?

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

This Sentence Is Camouflaged

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I think they must be running a very early version of PaintShop.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ask the mimic octopus, which does impersonations*, (see
@ 1:20 - 3.10 ).

[* they don't do celebrities, apart from Whoopi Goldberg  :) ]

You don't have to be able to see your body to adapt it to the environment,
 e.g.  Jeremy spots a babe approaching ...

image source
« Last Edit: 03/02/2010 05:32:06 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums