The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the incidence of Alzheimers increasing?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline DERYN

• View Profile
Is the incidence of Alzheimers increasing?
« on: 03/02/2010 12:54:40 »
Hi, I am fascinated when I hear that there has been an increase in something as it is always interesting discovering the possible causes. As is the case with Alzheimer's, I hear on the news that there has been an increase in the number of cases. Sometimes an increase isn't an actual increase in numbers but rather an increase in reported numbers. From what I hear it is the actual numbers of people suffering with Alzheimer's that is on the increase. Having seen my grandmother and my mother in law both suffer terribly with this disease I am hoping someone out their might be able to answer a couple of questions for me regarding Alzheimer's ?

I am aware that Alzheimer's is a disease, but not a disease that can be caught directly from someone, so is Alzheimer's due to a problem with genes ?

If the causes of Alzheimer's are due to genes then can it be hereditary ? and the disease is increasing as genes multiply with generations ?

Can Alzheimer's be increasing because of any other factors ?

Depending on the answers to the above questions, can Alzheimer's be eradicated ?

many thanks,

DERYN
« Last Edit: 03/02/2010 17:37:13 by chris »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Re: Is the incidence of Alzheimers increasing?
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2010 14:49:34 »
Alzheimer's is primarily a disease of old age, so where you have an aging population you'll see it increase without any change in the risk factors the population's exposed to (some of which I believe are genetic, it seems to "run in families", don't ask me for a reference..).
If one in n people will have developed Alzheimer's (or any another disease) by the time they reach (say) 70, but 1 in 3n by the time they reach (say) 75, and the life expectancy of the population goes from 72 to 77, disease rate will go up sharply (I made up the numbers to furnish the explanation, I've no idea how fast Alzheimer's rates go up with age, only that they do..)

Offline meister

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2011 13:55:05 »
I think so, the number of Alzheimer's patients are increasing each year. My elder sister works at Alzheimer's facility, she's one of the staff there. She said the population of those with Alzheimer's doubles every year. It's quite sad since Im  researching on the consequences and effects of long term care and  found out that Alzheimer's patients suffer a lot in terms of financial drawbacks :(

<Spam removed. Shame on you!>
« Last Edit: 20/08/2011 22:28:17 by peppercorn »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2011 13:55:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums