The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: To Keep Cool During Exercise...., Should I Wipe The Sweat Or Leave The Sweat ?  (Read 7717 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Sweatologists,

As A sheepy I am of course responsible for making many a ewe perspire with every breath, the same applies to humanoid females and Australian/Welsh males (I mean..can ewe blame them ? )..

look, here is an example of a sweaty head (look into the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, around the eyes but in the eyes *click*..you're back in the room !)

A Sweaty Head Earlier This Week

As ewe can see this is  a sweaty head...

As I understand it, we sweat to keep cool when our body is hot....from what I know it's the evaporation of the sweat that achieves this yes ?

So, should this sweaty head NOT wipe the sweat away when exercising ?..or should it wipe the sweat away ? !

ewe see..I don't know !..I just don't know and would like to know cos knowing what I want to know helps me to know it.

Will ewe help me know ?

Thank ewe for your kind consideration in this matter

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
Perspiration Is Head Salivation
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 04/02/2010 12:21:19 by neilep »

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
It seems to me that sweat will conserve the energy, it will be near or the same as your body temperature, won't it? And even though that there is a exchange of heat/work warming the sweat up, cooling you, it will also act as a layer as there are no 'heat conductive streams' to it. If you were running for example the wind would evaporate the sweat and the air streams created would also lead away the heat, although you then would raise your overall temperature by doing work.

My solution to this problem would then be to recommend the closest available pub, preferably airconditioned with some cool refreshing beverages, and I would only stick my nose out to call for a cab :) Airconditioned naturally, one should always travel in style, with a minibar, just to compensate for that sudden loss of fluids one gets when sweating. And if it's just a little sweat, well, in that case I would go for single malt. In that way you will also stop your sweating faster. I know it works, I do. You will be pleasantly surprised over the simplicity of my solution and after the first bottle you will recognize this as pure genius, I did. That was Single Malt btw, the smokier the better :) 
« Last Edit: 18/02/2010 20:57:44 by yor_on »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
It seems to me that sweat will conserve the energy, it will be near or the same as your body temperature, won't it? And even though that there is a exchange of heat/work warming the sweat up, cooling you, it will also act as a layer as there are no 'heat conductive streams' to it. If you were running for example the wind would evaporate the sweat and the air streams created would also lead away the heat, although you then would raise your overall temperature by doing work.

My solution to this problem would then be to recommend the closest available pub, preferably airconditioned with some cool refreshing beverages, and I would only stick my nose out to call for a cab :) Airconditioned naturally, one should always travel in style, with a minibar, just to compensate for that sudden loss of fluids one gets when sweating. And if it's just a little sweat, well, in that case I would go for single malt. In that way you will also stop your sweating faster. I know it works, I do. You will be pleasantly surprised over the simplicity of my solution and after the first bottle you will recognize this as pure genius, I did. That was Single Malt btw, the smokier the better :) 

Thank ewe very much Yor_on. I really do appreciate your great answer.

hmmm...thing is ..I am a tea total sheepy so a trip to the pub is fine but it would only be for an appletizer or an orangey juicey !

As a firm believer in empirical study I have not been wiping the sweat away for the last few weeks and to be honest..I can't tell the difference...mind ewe..this is on a  treadmill and not running outside.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I THINK THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WOULD BE THAT OF COMFORT.. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY TO FEEL SWEAT RUNNING DOWN MY SKIN..YUCKY! KIND OF CREEPY CRAWLY YOU KNOW? (Whoops)

Besides that I hate it dripping off my lip into my mouth or down between my breasts.. Its just all very un-lady like! LOL..LOL (and too much work) Hee hee hee...

Wipe it off man.........or catch it in a bucket and recycle it for another days water intake! LOL
« Last Edit: 21/02/2010 04:21:52 by Karen W. »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you wipe all the sweat off then it can't evaporate and cool you.
What you need is a big fan so that there's a better chance for it to evaporate.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
He has a point!..lol

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL.. Glisten...LOL
I get super hot, rarely sweating untill after I am in trouble I tend to get heat stroke befor I break a sweat....

Dogs cannot sweat they pant to cool off.. water and cooling are essential for them..

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums