The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is plasma?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 476
    • View Profile
What is plasma?
« on: 03/02/2010 20:45:34 »
What is plasma?  It has been stated in the Thunderbolt forum that plasma takes up 99% of space.  Is this really true?  If so, are Dark Energy and Dark Matter plasma?  All of the celestial bodies must be plasma as well.  What is the remaining 1%?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan



 

Offline Vern

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2072
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
What is plasma?
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2010 20:56:34 »
Here's a Wiki on it

Quote from: the link
In physics and chemistry, plasma is a gas, in which a certain proportion of its particles are ionized. The presence of a non-negligible number of charge carriers makes the plasma electrically conductive so that it responds strongly to electromagnetic fields. Plasma therefore has properties quite unlike those of solids, liquids, or gases and is considered to be a distinct state of matter. Like gas, plasma does not have a definite shape or a definite volume unless enclosed in a container; unlike gas, in the influence of a magnetic field, it may form structures such as filaments, beams and double layers (see section 3, below). Some common plasmas are fire, lightning, and the Sun.

Empty space is mostly empty. I guess the 99% means of the stuff that is there. The solar wind is plasma. That's why the earth's magnetic field play with it so well.

Celestial bodies like stars are plasma. Planets mostly not.
 

Offline Joe L. Ogan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 476
    • View Profile
What is plasma?
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2010 21:58:36 »
They told me that things work differently in space.  Arithmetic must be one of those.  We have Dark Energy and Dark Matter take up 96% of Space.  Celestial bodies take up 4 % of space.  Plasma takes up 99% of space.  That is 199%.  That doesn't count things like Radiant Energy and probably some other things that I do not know or do not remember.  Interesting!  Thanks for Comments.  Joe L. Ogan
 

Offline Soul Surfer

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 3345
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
What is plasma?
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/2010 22:59:15 »
Plasma is sometimes called the fourth state of matter.  We are familiar with solids liquids and gases.  Now as a gas gets hotter the gas molecules move faster and collide more violently.  Eventually they collide violently enough for electrons to be ejected from the atoms and the gas turns into a mix of ionised atoms and free electrons.  This is a plasma it is very different from a non ionised gas because it conducts electricity and can generate magnetic fields from the motion of separated charges.
 

Offline Joe L. Ogan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 476
    • View Profile
What is plasma?
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2010 23:43:59 »
Plasma is sometimes called the fourth state of matter.  We are familiar with solids liquids and gases.  Now as a gas gets hotter the gas molecules move faster and collide more violently.  Eventually they collide violently enough for electrons to be ejected from the atoms and the gas turns into a mix of ionised atoms and free electrons.  This is a plasma it is very different from a non ionised gas because it conducts electricity and can generate magnetic fields from the motion of separated charges.

       Does that affect the arithmetic of quantity in space?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan
 

Offline Soul Surfer

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 3345
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
What is plasma?
« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2010 09:06:55 »
Plasma is just ionised gas.  It is what the stars are made of and there are considerable areas of space where gas is ionised as there are areas where it is just neutral.  Stars are formed from cold, non ionised (neutral) gas and dust clouds.

In general when counting the amount of material in space, it is counted just the same as gas and dust.

Dark matter and dark energy are totally different things and not involved in this.

Going back to the original question.  I am not sure that your information is correct.  I do not know offhand what percentage of the gas in the universe is believed to be ionised (plasma) compared with that which is not ionised (neutral).  It is possible to identify clouds of neutral hydrogen by their 21cm radio emissions and most galaxies and even intergalactic space contain them.  this means that quite a large amount of material in the universe is not ionised.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2010 09:16:55 by Soul Surfer »
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is plasma?
« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2010 09:06:55 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums