The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Ambient Temperature Really Affect My Ability To Catch A Cold ?  (Read 5751 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Coldologists,

As a sheepy I of course rarely catch a cold because I'm ususally nice and snug and warm within my own wooly coat !.....Though, this brings me onto my question:

Take a look at Blanche Trinket Ornatesome the 3rd..

Blanche With A Cold Earlier Today

Poor Blanche, she's caught a cold !...it has been indicated to her that if she had gorn out on the town with her débutante chums last night wearing more than a skimpy frock and blouse that she probably would have not caught a cold...

Is this true ?..I have always wondered if ambient temperature really has anything to do whatsoever with catching a cold...one is a germy thing the other is a temperature thing !..so..which is it ?

Hope ewe can help me as it would cheer Blanche up when my Valet delivers the answer at tea time.

thanking ewe

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

neil
Atishoo Atishoo We All Fall Down
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Absolutely does. If everyone would simply accept the advice my mum used to give, there would be a lot less sniffles and sneezes, I can tell you.

Oh! Her advice, particularly to young ladies was:

Wear thicker pants!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Absolutely does. If everyone would simply accept the advice my mum used to give, there would be a lot less sniffles and sneezes, I can tell you.

Oh! Her advice, particularly to young ladies was:

Wear thicker pants!

...I've recently discovered new advice that girlies should not wear any pants at all.... ;)

....so..are ewe a strong supporter then that ambient temperature really does affect cold vulnerability ?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Eat citrus fruits, drink loads of honey & lemon and keep warm.
I've done that and still have a cold, jumpers etc.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Evidently my mother was of that opinion.

I think it does make a difference if you get chilled. It lowers your system's ability to fight off a virus. But that could be baloney.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Thanks Rosalind....hmmm...I think temperature has little to do with the ability to actually catch a cold !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

I think it does make a difference if you get chilled. It lowers your system's ability to fight off a virus. But that could be baloney.

...thanks geezer...as did my mother and my wife does now......I agree with your thought process that perhaps temperature just has an effect on the immunes system functionality !

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

It must be my age but it works for me and always has. That's
what my Mum told me.

Thanks Rosalind....hmmm...I think temperature has little to do with the ability to actually catch a cold !
I felt under-the-weather anyway. And I was near a friend who had
a nasty cough in freezing weather. It's my 1st this winter

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Hmm. Well, different viruses have different lifetimes outside the body at different temperatures, and I think [citation needed] that I heard somewhere that rhinovirus (the common cold) likes the cold, so whether or not being a bit chilly affects your immune system, that might have an effect.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thank ewe Rosy...So, it is safe to conclude that the ' cold (temperature) ' itself does not cause the cold (virus)...it perhaps, acts as a conduit by affecting the immune system...?

Wish ewe better Rosalind

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length