The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is There Any Way At All To Fix A Broken CD (Pink Floyd DSOTM) ?  (Read 4090 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest peeps Of Musical Prog rock Luffing Joy,

As a sheepy I of course luff prog rock...when I get up every day the first thing that makes me smile is the thought of all the prog rock I'll be listening to during the course of the day...

A long time ago a chum of mine gave me a CD version of Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon....somehow...some time it managed to get split..

My Split Pink Floyd CD A Few Minutes Ago

So, I thought I'd use this thing called the Interweb and seek out a replacement copy !......

...did ewe notice something about the CD ?..it's gold plated...it is in fact 24 karat gold plated !...I have just discovered that this is an extremely rare CD and if found you can pay up to 224 for a new one...so...my kweschun is...is there any way that this Cd can be saved/fixed ?

whajafink ?

If ewe help me...ewe can come listen to it with me ...  :D

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
My vinyl copy works fine...

To be honest, I doubt there's very much that can be done for a cracked cd - maybe you should just replace it with the 5.1 surround sound remaster they released a few years ago?

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Only thing you can legally do is buy a new/used one on Amazon or Ebay. All else, like copying via a 1x cdrom drive to make a copy, are classed as illegal, and could result in the MPAA and RIAA bashing down your door with a SWAT team, dragging you off in chains and fining you $ 500 000.00 per track for copyright infringement. Plus you know what happens to a sheepie in the clink, it becomes Barbie. Either kind..............

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
My vinyl copy works fine...

To be honest, I doubt there's very much that can be done for a cracked cd - maybe you should just replace it with the 5.1 surround sound remaster they released a few years ago?

Thanks Ben...that would then mean having to play it on my home theatre system and I'm really a two channel man...and the quality of my two channel is in a whole different league.....

I suspect you're right that there's sod all to be done *le sigh*
« Last Edit: 05/02/2010 17:30:59 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Only thing you can legally do is buy a new/used one on Amazon or Ebay. All else, like copying via a 1x cdrom drive to make a copy, are classed as illegal, and could result in the MPAA and RIAA bashing down your door with a SWAT team, dragging you off in chains and fining you $ 500 000.00 per track for copyright infringement. Plus you know what happens to a sheepie in the clink, it becomes Barbie. Either kind..............

Thanks Sean Lol..I did wonder about buying a new one and then saying it's been received cracked and then they can send me a replacement but then I'd have two !......hmmm...(naa..i don't think I could live with myself....I'm an honest sheep !).....I figure I might frame it with the box and hang it on the wall !

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Buy the standard one, I did a few years ago when it was on sale at a closing down. Look at the car boot markets near you ( if you can get one that is not a PRC fake that is).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Buy the standard one, I did a few years ago when it was on sale at a closing down. Look at the car boot markets near you ( if you can get one that is not a PRC fake that is).

Thanks Sean....yep, I'll just get a regular one..I do have it on vinyl too and I'll keep the old one as a plaque !

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Well, I'm not sure that it's illegal to own a backup copy of something you already own, so a copy of the cd shouldn't get you in any trouble.  I would expect it only becomes an issue if you are distributing copies.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length