The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the glycemic load calculation flawed?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline rb

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is the glycemic load calculation flawed?
« on: 07/02/2010 21:36:50 »
The Glycemic Index of a food is based on a serving containing 50 grams of useable carbohydrate. Glycemic Load attempts to adjust this value to reflect more realistic portion sizes for some foods (for example, watermelon) by multiplying the Glycemic Index by the carbohydrate grams of a typical serving divided by 100.

If the Glycemic Load calculation adjusts for portion sizes and the Glycemic Index is based on a 50 gram standard, shouldn't the Glycemic Load calculation divide by 50 instead of 100? If a particular food happens to have a standard serving size that's close to the 50 gram GI (Glycemic Index) standard, then the Glycemic Load and Glycemic Index of that food should be about the same. However, if you divide by 100 instead of 50, the Glycemic Load value is cut in half, which doesn't make sense.

Am I missing something? I'd appreciate any GI experts out there.

rb
« Last Edit: 08/02/2010 08:45:27 by chris »

Offline coolmatt420

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/12/2011 01:39:13 »
i believe the gi in general is flawed im not sure about your exact question but for people looking to lose weight/fat it is no substitute for less calories in than calories consumed. the gi is based on insulin spikes, but you can add protein or fats to minimize the insulin spike. now gi is probably good for people with diabetes. as an example of how the gi works, on the gi a baked potato is worse than a snickers bar, but a baked potato with nothing added only has about 100 calories and will fill you up more than a snickers bar witch has 280 for a reg size bar.     

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 04/12/2011 01:39:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums