The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are people that eat lots of fruit and sweets more prone to bee stings ?  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Bree

• First timers
    • View Profile
Are people that eat lots of fruit and sweets and might therefore have a sweet body odour more prone to be stung by bees?

mod edit: please make titles of threads a question. I'm super nice so I have done it for you;
« Last Edit: 10/02/2010 17:50:27 by neilep »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I don't think so.  Bees only sting as a defensive measure, and when they do so it results in their death.  Wasps do use their stings for hunting but even then they generally stick to prey that's small enough to carry back to the nest, so when a wasp stings you it will be as a defensive measure and not because it thinks you are tasty.

Offline Bree

• First timers
    • View Profile
When you leave a sugary cold drink bottle or can standing outside, it will attract bees and wasps. My reasoning for this question was that at one stage my younger son ate lots of sweet food and I found that when a bee was swarming around, it preferred his presence. And as a result of this he was stung fairly frequently, because often he did not realise that it was a bee that was crawling on his skin. Once he stopped eating so many sweet things bees left him alone. Coincidence?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
The bottom line regarding humans being stung by wasps, or even bees, is that they'll only do it in defence, when feeling threatened.  If your younger son was stung fairly frequently then it would have most probably been due to him flailing about and scaring the wasp/bee, not just because he might have smelled sweet.

Wasps generally only resort to sweet (human) drinks towards the end of summer, when the flowers that they'd normally feed on have dropped as the plant prepares to seed.  It's relatively rare for bees to be attracted to sweet drinks.

It's quite possible that your younger son had a sweet aroma as a result of eating sweet things, but I suspect it's most probably due to residues around his mouth or from his breath.  Afaik, there is little sugar in sweat: it's usually 'salty'.  The verb 'swarm' relates either to gathering of an aggregate of insects, or to climb up/over with hands and feet: a single bee wouldn't be 'swarming' around.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
I'm really upset because wifey just made me chuck a bee we found crawling around in our house outside in the cold. I told her it was probably hibernating and had woken up for a stroll and that now she is responsible for colony collapse disorder !

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Huh? To many lids for me :)
A drawing please

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Really nice DD, a certain reverence for life.
I like that :)

If one happens to get in my home i will remember your tip.
Thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums